Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » dss motor ???s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: dss motor ???s
87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87LXblackpearl  Ford pictures for 87LXblackpearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So here's a few of my questions ..first off. Im thinking of buying a brand new 331 dss stroker motorwith flat top pistons with 2 angle valve release ...also tfs3 cam gt 40 heads going to get heads ported new valve springs from trickflow.and gt 40 upper and lower tubular upper..30 pound injectors .oh yeah forgot to mention 1.7 roller rockers .how much hp will this make??

[ June 08, 2012, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: 87LXblackpearl ]

Posts: 98 | From: RichCityCA. | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont waste your time with gt40 heads and a 331..id say dont waste your time with dss either but some have luck...331 trickflow 205 and a custom cam sounds better..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a friend who can build you a better 331 than DSS does for cheaper

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87LXblackpearl  Ford pictures for 87LXblackpearl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U got a link to that? 331 trickflow?
87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Lol..is there something wrong with dss thatI haven't heard about? Let me kno that is what this post is for.lol
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87LXblackpearl:
Lol..is there something wrong with dss thatI haven't heard about? Let me kno that is what this post is for.lol

have seen and heard many horror stories with DSS...

so when you hear a motor compny is hit or miss...more than likely, it's better to find a local reputable builder...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
quote:

so when you hear a motor compny is hit or miss...more than likely, it's better to find a local reputable builder...

Yep I have also heard horror stories. I have a buddy who has a DSS 347 in his car with no issues, but after reading everything about them I would stick with someone local or a good out of state shop.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
quote:
quote:

Yep I have also heard horror stories. I have a buddy who has a DSS 347 in his car with no issues, but after reading everything about them I would stick with someone local or a good out of state shop.
I would recommend FordStrokers if you wanted someone "big" with a really good reputation...you'll pay about the same as a DSS motor but you'll be waiting a while

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would recommend FordStrokers if you wanted someone "big" with a really good reputation...you'll pay about the same as a DSS motor but you'll be waiting a while
FordStrokers is a great company with excellent customer service but the wait is fucking killing me.

[ June 08, 2012, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Greasy ]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

FordStrokers is a great company with excellent customer service but the wait is fucking killing me.
I'd recommend Turbo50(Dan) but he is no longer building engines..

My friend Mitch just opened up his own shop as well and can build and assemble a badass engine as well for way less than DSS..Mitch assisted with the build of two of StreakMatt's engines and has recently just done his own 5.4 2V which makes big power

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
U got a link to that? 331 trickflow?

he means trickflow 205 heads..

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'd recommend Turbo50(Dan) but he is no longer building engines..

My friend Mitch just opened up his own shop as well and can build and assemble a badass engine as well for way less than DSS..Mitch assisted with the build of two of StreakMatt's engines and has recently just done his own 5.4 2V which makes big power

For me it's too late to go somewhere else, I'm balls deep into it right now. I was this close '' to getting my money back and dumping a Coyote engine in my car.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
For me it's too late to go somewhere else, I'm balls deep into it right now. I was this close '' to getting my money back and dumping a Coyote engine in my car. [/QB]

No, I would stick with Woody and the team...if you've waited this long then you'll know it'll be a badass build.

I originally was going to go with him but couldnt afford the 4-5 month wait...luckily Dan stepped up and built me a badass shortblock

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
quote:
For me it's too late to go somewhere else, I'm balls deep into it right now. I was this close '' to getting my money back and dumping a Coyote engine in my car.

No, I would stick with Woody and the team...if you've waited this long then you'll know it'll be a badass build.

I originally was going to go with him but couldnt afford the 4-5 month wait...luckily Dan stepped up and built me a badass shortblock [/QB]

Yeah I'm sticking with them and it's been a little longer then 5 months lol. Dan built you a solid little engine, i want to see what it does at the track.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:

I originally was going to go with him but couldnt afford the 4-5 month wait...luckily Dan stepped up and built me a badass shortblock

Yeah I'm sticking with them and it's been a little longer then 5 months lol. Dan built you a solid little engine, i want to see what it does at the track. [/QB]
We will find out soon...Mike's is building me a nice trans to go behind this little engine

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

REDLIGHTING
¯
Member # 11296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for REDLIGHTING  Ford pictures for REDLIGHTING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DART FTW......

--------------------
1992 coupe YSI, DART,
225 TFS HIGH PORTS
04 mystichrome convertible

2006 GMC sierra slt crew

87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Thanks again for all responces let me be a lil bit more specific ..i have until july tenth to cum up with this bad ass bottom end so now need more replys..
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please don't throw that gt40 bull on no 331. If your building a "bad ass motor" and it includes ancient junk yard pieces your not really building a "bad ass motor". Now if you just want to get by then by all means go get you a 302 or used 306 and have at it. Im thinking custom hi tech cam trick flow or afr heads size 205 with upgraded springs 1.7rr track heat or systemax intake 70/75mm tb 73-77mm maf 32# inj Anderson na power pipe. As for rotating assemblies id go with scat or eagle and maybe file fit rings if your picky or have future plans and do some calculating for what size dish pistons to run. If you do it right once you eliminate redoing it every year because of bs

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Thanks again for all responces let me be a lil bit more specific ..i have until july tenth to cum up with this bad ass bottom end so now need more replys..

If youre serious...let me know and I'll get you in contact with Mitch...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

87LXblackpearl
¯
Member # 10409

Im dead serious and as far as bottom end i want it fresh 0miles..and who's mitch btw?
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i race with six people that have bought dss motors.... every one of them has come appart. what ever your direction is dont plan on making more than 400 hp on a stock ford block.. yes i know people make this and more horsepower but their cars never actually see long term abuse so they stay together, but anyone who has run a sbf hard over 400 hp.. will crack the block right down the center of the lifter valley. invest in a good dart or fms boss block.
dohc90lx
¯
Member # 11863

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohc90lx  Ford pictures for dohc90lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ooh and 347 the oil ring is into the pin making the pistion skirt very short. this is the number one failure in any 347. they usually rip the pistion pin right out of the bottom of the piston.. and then all that is usually saveable is one head and the intakemanifold.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com