Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how eff'd am i?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how eff'd am i?
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I decided to check the timing chain while I had the engine out. This is what I found ... how eff'd am I?
 -

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cemelevu:
So I decided to check the timing chain while I had the engine out. This is what I found ... how eff'd am I?
 -

is the key that stops the timing chain bent at the end? if so don't think that timing gear will come off the crank...

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by svfreerider87:
quote:
 -

is the key that stops the timing chain bent at the end? if so don't think that timing gear will come off the crank...
Not as concerned about the timing gear as I am about how loose the harmonic balancer is. Long story short.. the aftermarket balancer was eff'd when I put it on and looks like it wore the key on the crank.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those keys are pretty easily replaceable. Just remove the gear, pop the key out and put a new key in.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
 -

the snout of the crank has been over heated.i would check for hot spots an cracks
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

quote:
Originally posted by SS396 chevelle aka fasthatch:
the snout of the crank has been over heated.i would check for hot spots an cracks

I didn't notice the discoloration, I was more concerned with the key. I will clean it better and get the magnafine glass to look for cracks. [Frown]
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SS396 chevelle aka fasthatch:

I didn't notice the discoloration, I was more concerned with the key. I will clean it better and get the magnafine glass to look for cracks. [Frown]
the keys are replaceable.
Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure where ur located but got a extra key if you need it.

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

quote:
Originally posted by RacerX:
Not sure where ur located but got a extra key if you need it.

I am 30 miles north of Sacramento. I have been looking online, the keys are fairly inexpensive, thanks for the offer though.
I am really glad I caught this now.

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, you can replace the key, but what caused this in the first place? You might want to have a look at your balancer and the key slot on the balancer.
When I was going to use my stock balancer on a new crate engine for my F150 5.0L, the key was taller than the slot on the balancer. Had to get a new balancer. Just wondering if that was the same issue and someone forced on the balancer which squashed the key.

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
someone forced on the balancer which squashed the key.

^^^^^this^^^^ Honestly it could have been my own fuck up. I bought a used balancer that I thought looked kind of iffy. I put it on anyway and this is the result. I'll get pictures tonight of the inside of the balancer.
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

The culprit =
 -

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

this was a bitch for me to get out. I was trying really hard not to hit the crankshaft, or my fingers...

-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com