Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » E Cam vs. Stock Cam for Supercharged Setup

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: E Cam vs. Stock Cam for Supercharged Setup
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only a couple days left until I start tearing down my motor to add heads and intake to my setup. I'm trying to stay on as small of a budget as possible for this build since I'm still building a new engine on the side(TFS TW 170's O Ringed, Balanced/Rebuilt 302, Custom Cam etc).

The only cam I'm seeing locally is an E Cam. I know plenty of people have used E Cams with superchargers, but with an LSA of only 110* versus the stock at 115* I'm not sure the E Cam would really benefit my combo

Combo:
Stock Block
Stock Cam
Paxton SN2000 @8psi
PMAS 95mm Velocity MAF Calibrated for 42lb
UPR Boostmaster 4" Inlet Pipe
Paxton 3" Outlet Pipe
Holley Systemax II Intake Manifold
Edelbrock Performer 1.90 Heads
Omega 1.72 Roller Rockers

FMS 42lb Injectors
Walbro 255lph In Tank Pump
SN95 Fuel Lines

BBK Shorty Non Equal Length Headers
Stock H Pipe
Flowmaster Delta 40's with 2.5" Mandrel Bent Tips

Autolite 3924 Gapped @ .032
MSD 6AL
MSD Blaster Coil
FMS 9mm Wires

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why?? i would do a custom cam like you put in your info lol

[ May 30, 2012, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: triple b ]

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
why?? i would do a custom cam like you put in your info lol

This build is a budget build. I already hit high 12's with stock hci, so I just want to get to some mid to low 12's with these upgrades. Possibly 11's with a full tune and bigger/stickier slicks. I'm looking into going megasquirt and doing my own tuning. I use a Diablosport Trinity on my other car and it's awesome.

The customs cam is going in the rebuilt/balanced 302 with tfs tw 170 heads etc After the engine is done I'm gonna send off my paxton sn2000 and have it upgraded to a VR4 for 12-14psi going for 10's daily driven smog legal. Probably going to invest in the magnaflow catted carb legal x pipe at this point [Smile]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

91blackonblack
¯
Member # 11591

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91blackonblack  Ford pictures for 91blackonblack  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F303 cam also passes smog of people didnt know that.

--------------------
91blackonblack is banned from this website for good. Vallejo ghetto drama does not belong on CAFords! Y'all need to find a different website. PLEASE! GTFO and take your ghetto shit with you.

ps- ENGLISH DOES MATTER. How foolish of CAFords, we wrote this on our registration page http://oi49.tinypic.com/2akjm7k.jpg but now realize it's useless because the intended audience CAN'T READ, TYPE OR UNDERSTAND ENGLISH!

His response:

"I just want to say i need some very important info.an the onl way was through a friend to help me find that info.but you guys are some fucking bitches that hide behind ur fucking computer all damn day.you fucking bastards racist piece of shyt.exspecally with that nazi symbol you guys think is koo.fuck you i hope i fuck ur sisters or wife.punk bitches.you guys are fucking haters.an i hope ur fucking website crashes to.god has the last word.an u guys let that piece of shyt 396 get away with murder.an letting everybody get banned because of his shyt talking.i hope he gets his to from somebody.one day he going to say the wrong thing to somebody.fuck u bitches.you mark ass.bye punks"

At least he's consistent with his views!

-----------------------------

91 ssp 306,h.c.i. +v2 blower,suspension
Duncan motorsFTMFTW/F.O.D. FTMFTW
Mr.Quandoe" swang shyt click"

Posts: 1608 | From: the blower yo bitch | Registered: Jan 2012  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so did my trickflow stg 2 and others on here have vouched for hitech renegade stage 1 cam also

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Im not worried about the cam vs smog. We had an x cam pass no prob. I just want to see if the e cam would be worth putting in over the stock cam.. Tough call

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for 100 bucks or so just pick up an f303, great cam for that combo many people laying down some impressive trap times/dyno slips with that same combo.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sure the f cam is the best blower cam. even in the the ford fms book it recommends the ecam if im not mistakin. the stock cam does work great as well.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
im not sure the f cam is the best blower cam. even in the the ford fms book it recommends the ecam if im not mistakin. the stock cam does work great as well.

Most guys putting down serious power with the stock cam are turbo, but I was thinking with the wide lobe separation angle and 1.72 roller rocker helping the stock cam should still be a pretty good candidate for making good power with my setup.

My last setup was a 91 gt 3400lbs without me in it, paxton sn92, gt40 tubular, long tubes, windsor sr heads, b cam etc and I ran a best of 12.23@112 I'm hoping to run better with this combo aftermarket cam or not. My coupe will weigh in at like 2950, bigger heads, bigger intake, smaller cam.... We'll see

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do not have a lot of data for you but have heard a cobra/thunderbird cam is a good blower cam. It's been awhile since i looked at there specs but if I remember right they have more exhaust duration and different lobe centers. might be worth a look.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
I do not have a lot of data for you but have heard a cobra/thunderbird cam is a good blower cam. It's been awhile since i looked at there specs but if I remember right they have more exhaust duration and different lobe centers. might be worth a look.

From what I saw it's very little difference between the cams. .477 vs .484 lift and a few degrees of duration. That small of a difference is not worth the extra tear down in my book. If I can find a b cam before this sat I might pick one up, but I think the e cam has too narrow of an lsa to work really well with a supercharger

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6D9  Ford pictures for 6D9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:

From what I saw it's very little difference between the cams. .477 vs .484 lift and a few degrees of duration. That small of a difference is not worth the extra tear down in my book. If I can find a b cam before this sat I might pick one up, but I think the e cam has too narrow of an lsa to work really well with a supercharger
My buddies Procharged car(69 Camaro) is running a Comp XR294HR on a 110 lsa and it runs incredible. Way faster than it should for the mods. So dont rule out the e cam just because of the tighter lsa. But I dont think there will be a huge difference in power between the two cams. If you need a E cam my buddy has one he will sell as well.

--------------------
Performance Alliance Motorsports
1969 BBC Camaro

Posts: 171 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 6D9:
quote:
quote:

My buddies Procharged car(69 Camaro) is running a Comp XR294HR on a 110 lsa and it runs incredible. Way faster than it should for the mods. So dont rule out the e cam just because of the tighter lsa. But I dont think there will be a huge difference in power between the two cams. If you need a E cam my buddy has one he will sell as well.
I have no idea what I'm gonna do. I think a b cam would be a decent performer for my setup. Ive ran the b cam before with good results. If I cant find one before saturday I'll just see how the stock cam works with this setup

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6D9  Ford pictures for 6D9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have no idea what I'm gonna do. I think a b cam would be a decent performer for my setup. Ive ran the b cam before with good results. If I cant find one before saturday I'll just see how the stock cam

works with this setup

Right on I think stock cam with 1.7's will run just fine.

--------------------
1969 BBC Camaro

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Yeah I'm sure it will run perfectly fine. Just makes me wonder how much, if any horsepower I'm going to give up vs. an off the shelf cam.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey,off topic but that air meter brand i was telling you about is Abaco.AFM is one place that sells em.
Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
6D9
¯
Member # 7001

quote:
Yeah I'm sure it will run perfectly fine. Just makes me wonder how much, if any horsepower I'm going to give up vs. an off the shelf cam.

I would bet at most 15-20 HP at the crank tops difference. Im really watching your build close as I plan to upgrade mine with a build plan very close to your set up.

[ May 31, 2012, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: 6D9 ]

--------------------
1969 BBC Camaro

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
quote:

I would bet at most 15-20 HP at the crank tops difference. Im really watching your build close as I plan to upgrade mine with a build plan very close to your set up.
Well I'm a cheap ass, so unless I can find dyno time for cheap I probably won't have any dyno numbers, but I will be taking it to the track, so at least I will have an idea of gains based on that.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

I really do miss having a nice lumpy idle. It's tempting to get the e cam even if it doesnt make any more power lol

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spend the 350$ and get a custom camshaft..or throw a tfs1

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by Jaejae5.0:
Spend the 350$ and get a custom camshaft..or throw a tfs1

I am going custom cam grind in my next motor. Already have a prepped 302 block. Just have to decide if I'm going to go budget build on that one and reuse the factory rotating assembly, or go aftermarket. Now that there will be nothing else I can really do to this engine I can start working on that one. My problem this whole time has been that I keep modding the engine in my car rather than building my extra block.

That engine I'm going to use my tfs tw 170 heads, o ringed, fully studded, balanced etc

Once that's all done I also plan on sending in my Paxton SN to have it upgraded to VR4 and nearly double the boost [Smile]

The main idea behind this build was to do it on a budget. So far I've got really good deals on everything, and I've been building it since last year, so the costs have been spread out.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com