Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 110 Octane Questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 110 Octane Questions
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was at Riebes the other day and noticed they carry 110 Octane. I was grinning ear to ear and thinking of how good it will smell coming from my exhaust!

Can I put 110 Octane in my car without hurting anything? I've ran 100 with no problems and it kept my car from audible detonation.

I have my base timing set at 10* advanced. Could I run more timing with 110?

My combo by the time I will want to use 110 will be:

-Edelbrock Performer Aluminum Heads 1.90/1.60(gasket matched intake and exhaust to fel pro standard gasket set & port/polish in the bowls)
-Paxton SN2000 @ 8psi
-Holley Systemax II
-1.72 Omega Roller Rockers(with stock camshaft)
-BBK 70mm T/B and spacer
-95mm PMAS maf
-4" UPR Boostmaster inlet pipe
-3" Paxton outlet pipe
-FMS 42lb injectors
-SN95 fuel rails
-255lph Walbro
-MSD 6al
-MSD blaster coil
-FMS 9mm wires
-Autolite 3924 gapped @ .032
-BBK headers
-Flowmaster Delta 40's etc

-Stock Cam
-Stock Bottom End 120k+
-Stock H Pipe

[ June 07, 2012, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
tlcluver21
¯
Member # 9062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlcluver21  Ford pictures for tlcluver21    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you will be fine but will if your running o2 sensors and cats it will eat both of then up, but besides that you should be fine and yes with a slower burning fuel u can run more timing
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tlcluver21:
Sounds like you will be fine but will if your running o2 sensors and cats it will eat both of then up, but besides that you should be fine and yes with a slower burning fuel u can run more timing

It would only be for track use, so a couple times a year at most

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'd be hurting your o2s and cats.. other than that then you should be fine.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:

Do you think there would be a lot of damage to the o2 and cats from only a couple times a years of useage?

How about sunoco 100? We've got it on pump. I ran that last time and my car liked it. All of my audible partial throttle detonation went away when using it.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:

Do you think there would be a lot of damage to the o2 and cats from only a couple times a years of useage?

How about sunoco 100? We've got it on pump. I ran that last time and my car liked it. All of my audible partial throttle detonation went away when using it.

As long as you are not running leaded fuel you should be fine. 110 is leaded and 100 is not.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Leaded gas and o2 sensors, and cats are not a good mix. My buddy was going to buy some aviation fuel, and they asked what was his purpose of buying, when he told them to put in his car, they didnt sell it to him, and pretty much said the same thing.
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran a barrel of vp racing 110 leaded octane, the fuel was purple, in a foxbody with cats n 02s hooked up n no issues, but long periods of use may show differently...

Loved the smell

[ May 29, 2012, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

I would only be using it a couple times a year at most. What kind of timing advance can 110 handle in a supercharged application?

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well there are way cheaper ways to go slower

just back off your timing for the same effect.....i never understood the idea of using more octane to reduce power to raise timing to get your lost HP back

but thats just me

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
well there are way cheaper ways to go slower

just back off your timing for the same effect.....i never understood the idea of using more octane to reduce power to raise timing to get your lost HP back

but thats just me

I haven't tuned any Mustangs on a dyno with race gas, or E85, but I run E85 in my SRT-4 with pretty good results. It's not exactly race gas, but most would rate the octane level at 105+. Granted it's a combination of more boost and more timing, but I don't know anyone who wasn't able to squeeze at least another 20whp out of their motor by switching to E85 and tuning. Some people are able to get quite a bit more then that. It's mostly dependant on their modifications.

The reason I went to 100 octane when I went to the track is because I don't have a tune for my Mustang. Since 100 octance resists detonation better than 91 octane I figured it would be a good way to stay more safe. Since I notice audible detonation on 91 under partial throttle occasionally, and I don't notice any audible detonation with 100 that seemed a better way to go.

I know nothing can substitute a proper tune. It would be nice if my Diablosport Trinity would also tune my Mustang, but it is setup for OBDII cars. I plan on running one of the Engine Management Systems probably as soon as this year. I'm leaning towards the megasquirt because I've seen good results with them and know a couple of local guys that tune with them.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

6D9
¯
Member # 7001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6D9  Ford pictures for 6D9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much timing are you pulling out per pound of boost?

--------------------
Performance Alliance Motorsports
1969 BBC Camaro

Posts: 171 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd run a cooler plug and less octane first, you are already well within stock block splitting territory.......

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 6D9:
How much timing are you pulling out per pound of boost?

Currently not pulling any timing. Timing is set at 10* this is the main reason why I used 100 octane to hit the track. And also why I was looking into higher octane.

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
I'd run a cooler plug and less octane first, you are already well within stock block splitting territory.......

Two steps colder than stock? 3923?

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes 3923 and there are literally hundreds of folks on 91 octane with hci cars and boost making 450 at the wheels which is block splitting waiting to happen

--------------------

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Yes 3923 and there are literally hundreds of folks on 91 octane with hci cars and boost making 450 at the wheels which is block splitting waiting to happen

You think even on stock cam with 1.72's I'll be in that HP territory? Some people have went as far as to claim that I would get no gains from these heads and intake manifold since I'm only running a Paxton SN supercharger

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[QUOTE]You think even on stock cam with 1.72's I'll be in that HP territory? Some people have went as far as to claim that I would get no gains from these heads and intake manifold since I'm only running a Paxton SN supercharger

not but 400 at the crank is very realistic,

and thats because most people are either retarded...or are a chromosome or 2 away from being a brick, so they wanna say that going to a good aluminum head with bigger valves and getting more lift from the rockers...all while packing in more air....will get you nothing ? too funny. let them use vic jr's and 100mm shit on their 5.0 and see how bad they slow down from it

if your getting spark knock at 10* with 91 octane...i would go down to 6* BTDC and just "powertune" it, even lower if you need to. make some runs at the track and every run bump about 2*

watch your MPH and when you start to slow down...go back to where you just were. the MPH is the indicator of power...not ET and you'll slow down b4 you hear it..or b4 it will show on your plugs

but a bad run will NOT net you a good result, like if you spin a 2.00 sixty...your MPH will be "false" high compared to if you hooked

i have to just guess that 100 octane on the left coast is somewhere near $6/gallon cuz it's about $4.75 here

and octane reduces the combustability of gasoline....therefore reducing power...and eliminating your spark knock. so you HAVE to raise timing a bunch just to get your lost power back.

2 sets colder seems excessive to me, i would gap 1 set colder at about .040"

FYI i run 87 octane on 100 jets with 12* timing as long as its under 75* and i use stock coppers gapped at .042"

i have the same heads as you do, comp valve job, gasket matched exhaust, and port matched to a gt40 tubular

i squirt a dry 100 on it, and figure i have about 400 at the crank. it should be good for 11.80's but always breaks before i get to the track so its just a guess based 5 other cars ive owned and what i had done to them and how they ran

those are my thoughts for what they're worth

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
[QUOTE]

but a bad run will NOT net you a good result, like if you spin a 2.00 sixty...your MPH will be "false" high compared to if you hooked

Great advise there....all of it is but this especially!

--------------------

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

As long as you are not running leaded fuel you should be fine. 110 is leaded and 100 is not.
Also keep in mind Sunoco 100 bought at the pump in California is actually 97 octane. That has to be taken into account when tuning.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also keep in mind Sunoco 100 bought at the pump in California is actually 97 octane. That has to be taken into account when tuning.
Where did you find this info?

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's 100 octane.

http://www.racegas.com/fuel/19

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
It's 100 octane.

http://www.racegas.com/fuel/19

My bad.. It was 97 octane rated on the website last year when I was getting my car tuned by AED which is why I decided not to tune my car on this fuel. Must be a new formula if they're rating it 100 now.

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It might be a new formula. It used to be called Sunoco 260 Gold (for CA). Now it's SS100.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com