Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » CAT crankshafts,need some input.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: CAT crankshafts,need some input.
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone run one of these or currently running one?Ive read alot of bad about them but the articles are mostly from 5-8 years ago.Most companies tend to get better with time.Ive got a line on what seems to be a killer deal but i dont wanna end up with wasted money on junk i cant use.Ive done too much of that lately.And if your gonna tell me theyre trash at least give me some of the reasons why.

[ May 25, 2012, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have a answer to your question..but a stock rotating assembly will outlast your stock block..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
707iiii
¯
Member # 10923

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707iiii  Ford pictures for 707iiii    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The biggest issue with the chinese stuff is usually the finish machining. If they are all done in china (forged & machined) they can be pretty bad. Scat uses Chinese forgings but does all the machine work so they end up really nice.
I'm running an off shore forged crank in my 347 with no issues yet. It's not a cat but I do have a 3.25 stroke cat sitting on the shelf. I haven't had it checked out so I can't comment about the quality of the machining, it looks nice though. See if you can have it checked out by a competent machine shop before you buy.

Posts: 327 | From: Lost Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I won't use a CAT crankshaft but I would use a SCAT crankshaft

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Gatlin6T9
¯
Member # 5646

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gatlin6T9  Ford pictures for Gatlin6T9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The balance can be horrible also. In some cases, balancing them will cost just as much as a good quality crank.
Posts: 226 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well i picked it up.Its been "cleaned up" and its been balanced.Its 4340 forged steel with 3.250 stroke.Snagged it for 150$ [dance]

--------------------

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
Well i picked it up.Its been "cleaned up" and its been balanced.Its 4340 forged steel with 3.250 stroke.Snagged it for 150$ [dance]

i don't buy any thing that isn't made in the usa. you get what you pay for! [patriot] cat brand is junk. broke a cat rod in half.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:

i don't buy any thing that isn't made in the usa. you get what you pay for! [patriot] cat brand is junk. broke a cat rod in half.
I seriously doubt ill break a 4340 steel crank.No matter where its made.Did the rod break because of the cheap bolts they use or was it a structural failure?
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is anyknock off brand as good as the origanal
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

And for the record,Scat and Eagle cranks are made in China and finish machined over here.As are most engine parts nowadays.The quality of Chinese parts has improved vastly over when they first hit the market in the late 90's/early 2k's.Im not saying its as good as real American made items but its not as bad as some people think.

[ May 28, 2012, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey hey lol, u asked and thats our opinions lol. truly wish u the best of luck, lee had a crankshaft new in the box. everything like the one u got, i pondered on it for months.i even have one of there harmonic balancers on my shelf, dont look like crap at all , nice machining and all
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Its cool,im not gettin excited,lol.I always appreciate any of my Cafords fam's advice and help. [patriot]
Some of the chinese cranks can come over here in pretty crappy shape ive heard,excess runout and occasional undersize journals is what ive found from doin some research.But once a machine shop over here cleans em up theyre good.I guess im not sayin theyre workmanship is good,just that the materials and techniques they use in their foundries now are better.Im on a slim budget here and im trying to justify my cheapness.Lol.

[ May 29, 2012, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------

375stroker
¯
Member # 7485

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 375stroker  Ford pictures for 375stroker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use a cat steel crank in a 306 years ago .kuntz and comp build the motor. They check out the crank to see if it was in specs. everything was on the money. I ran that engine for about 5 years turning 7500 rpms. I did not have any problems with it

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com