Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » F Cam Help.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: F Cam Help.
89FxBdy
¯
Member # 11121

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FxBdy  Ford pictures for 89FxBdy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jus bought a F cam and running it with ported Gt 40 heads jus woundering if anybody ever ran this cam and did they have any problems with the piston to value clearance on a 302 block thanks Cali Fords really appeticate
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what ratio rockers? best bet is just to check when you do the swap.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
89FxBdy
¯
Member # 11121

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FxBdy  Ford pictures for 89FxBdy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by norcalfiddy:

I'm going with 1.7 with a cobra upper lower. I wanted too see if anybody knows before I put it in and can't return it thanks
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only way to know for sure is to check PTV, it is a pretty easy process. Its always better to be safe then sorry.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GtStang:
quote:
Originally posted by norcalfiddy:

I'm going with 1.7 with a cobra upper lower. I wanted too see if anybody knows before I put it in and can't return it thanks
well all motors are different, mostlikely might hit with the 1.7's. you could try some 1.6's. best thing to do is just to check.

but maybe someone has that setup and can tell you.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
89FxBdy
¯
Member # 11121

Yea that's why I posted this wanted to see of any one has use this cam with this setup or something similar.. What ca do you guys think I should run?. I want a big can without any problems with piston to value clearance thanks
AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was running that cam with 1.6rr with no ptv problems. I heard its close with 1.7rr, it bumps the lift somewhere around the .542 area. The cam did good when I was N/A, I'm still using it with my turbo.

[ May 08, 2012, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: AR_Stang ]

--------------------
-American Revolution-

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yea that's why I posted this wanted to see of any one has use this cam with this setup or something similar.. What ca do you guys think I should run?. I want a big can without any problems with piston to value clearance thanks

I am using GT40X Heads with 1.7s and F303. No issues here, it's close though.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a simular set up to urs and I took a chunk off the piston and my gt40 heads. So if I was u id ether jus run 1.6rr of jus do a ptv clearence check jus to be sure like I should've done in the first place...FYI that set up will be nice
89FxBdy
¯
Member # 11121

quote:
Originally posted by Wrenchin:
quote:

I am using GT40X Heads with 1.7s and F303. No issues here, it's close though.
Do you think with the 1.6rr I would be okay with the ptv Clarence with the regular ported gt40 heads.? I don't wana put the cam in and not fit and not be able to return it. Or do you know how to check the ptv or how much a shop charges to check?
89FxBdy
¯
Member # 11121

quote:
Originally posted by ROK5.0:
I had a simular set up to urs and I took a chunk off the piston and my gt40 heads. So if I was u id ether jus run 1.6rr of jus do a ptv clearence check jus to be sure like I should've done in the first place...FYI that set up will be nice

Thanks man I hope it's nice I heard of the f cam with the gt 40 heads and it sounds nice jus hoping it fits without shaving anything
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check it one slip of the throttle and if your not running the correct springs BAM broken piston or valve

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to work at a Mustang shop and whenever we would install F Cam or larger we always had the pistons fly cut just for extra insurance.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
89FxBdy
¯
Member # 11121

quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
I used to work at a Mustang shop and whenever we would install F Cam or larger we always had the pistons fly cut just for extra insurance.

How much do you think they would charge me too cut the pistons for a lil insurance?.
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
friends stock shortblock with edelbrock performers threw in a f cam with 1.7s valves never touched...always smart to check tho..but he had zero problems..goodluck
Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
25th coupe
¯
Member # 9743

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 25th coupe  Ford pictures for 25th coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have gt40s anderson cam 512 lift 1.6 rockers and it was fine until I went over 6500 rpms two valves did hit the piston. Fcam 1.7 rockers just to big in my opinion.

--------------------
306 sc 5.0

Posts: 648 | From: REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Jan 2010  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
read this article it will fill your head with information you need
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/93Cobra/

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com