Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Long Tubes Smog Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Long Tubes Smog Question
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have always wondered what is the issue with long tube headers that makes it so companies cant make them smog legal?
Posts: 767 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
OneFastHatch.
¯
Member # 9537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneFastHatch.  Ford pictures for OneFastHatch.  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Visual

--------------------
1991 fobra (slow)

j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0eyabs  Ford pictures for j0eyabs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
But there is no way for a company to get them CARB certified like they do with some shorties?
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the issue is that they move the o2 sensor placement. Still doesn't change how the car runs. Just the smog Nazi's doing what they do best.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j0eyabs:
I have always wondered what is the issue with long tube headers that makes it so companies cant make them smog legal?

From what I remember it's because the long tube headers move the original location of the catalytic converters. Can't do that eventhough it may not have any effect on your emissions.
SMOG isn't about clean air it's about $. If it were about clean air then it wouldn't matter what your setup was as long as it passed emissions.
One of my cars I run on E85. I took it down to the SMOG shop without a catalytic converter on it just to see how it would do since it's supposed to be a lot less emissions than gasoline. The SMOG guys rolled it on the dyno then went onto visual inspection. They stopped the testing and said "Well it looks like your car would pass emissions, but we can't pass visual because you don't have a catalytic converter"

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
j0eyabs
¯
Member # 1026

I wish California would get rid of the visual inspection.
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you can tig weld....

just cut the CARB tag off some shorties...and tig it to the longtubes.

all they want is the CARB number....they have no idea what they are looking at

ive seen it done...it works, but it cant be a shoddy weld

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nitrous_bob:
if you can tig weld....

just cut the CARB tag off some shorties...and tig it to the longtubes.

all they want is the CARB number....they have no idea what they are looking at

ive seen it done...it works, but it cant be a shoddy weld

Wish it were that easy. Anything that's visual that I have stickers for, they will actually look on the CARB database while you wait to see if it matches your sticker. This time around that I had to smog I noticed that from two different shops.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com