Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clunk/noise in front end

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clunk/noise in front end
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I replaced all the shocks and struts in the car. Put in lowering springs. Added subframe connectors... I still feel like I have a clunk noise, sometimes in the front end? I checked bushings... Don't see anything... Any ideas what this could be? I notice it more I think on the left wheel when it hits a quick/small bump. But only sometimes... Pain in the ass! Just want to try and find it! Want to have a good solid front end, noise free.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it to Les Schwab they'll put it up on a lift for you and check it out for free if it has to do with your suspension/tires they'll find the problem.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the inner and outer tie rod ends

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hit the top strut nut with an impact (tighten) when the vehicle is on the ground.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just had it aligned but I'll try taking it back to them. And that other stuff.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be a ball joint / tie-rod end / swaybar endlink/bushing / loose strut bolt / loose brake caliper bolt.

best thing would be jack it up and shake the tire while holding at different angles, then use a long pry bar on tie-rods / spindle / swaybar and see if anything moves that shouldn't.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's more then likely a CV joint I've replaced tons of these on these fox body cars they always go bad. tell you what I can fix it for you for a very fair price.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
It's more then likely a CV joint I've replaced tons of these on these fox body cars they always go bad. tell you what I can fix it for you for a very fair price.

I'm not sure what you are meaning to say (balljoint?) but a CV joint is on fwd/awd cars and trucks...not mustangs unless they have IRS, and then only in the rear, lol.

-

(Constant Velocity)

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:

Or maybe the transfer case is going bad. The 4 wheel drive seems to be slipping a little. ha

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You really also should have your muffler bearings checked out These do go bad!
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your ball joints for play between the spindle and control arm

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Tire place say the Strut bolts are loose... They do NOT seem loose. But I guess I will get the impact gun out and see what I can do.

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for omarquez510  Ford pictures for omarquez510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They probably mean the top nut. Hit those with the impact gun. [patriot]
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
Tire place say the Strut bolts are loose... They do NOT seem loose. But I guess I will get the impact gun out and see what I can do.

if the strut is still loose with the strut nuts all snugged down and can't be tightened anymore because they are bottomed out, you likely have an incorrect amount or placement of spacers on the top of the strut if you are using c/c plates.

[ May 03, 2012, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by omarquez510:

I believe this is the problem, but the top nut is tight. It is isn't bottoming out, The threads are just barely at the top of the nut. But when I try and hold the strut still with vise grips or anything I can't tighten the bolt any more. And if I use the impact gun, the whole thing just spins. Any ideas? The nuts don't seem loose but thats what the tire shop said...

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by omarquez510:

I believe this is the problem, but the top nut is tight. It is isn't bottoming out, The threads are just barely at the top of the nut. But when I try and hold the strut still with vise grips or anything I can't tighten the bolt any more. And if I use the impact gun, the whole thing just spins. Any ideas? The nuts don't seem loose but thats what the tire shop said...
put a jack under that control arm to put more weight on that strut, if the strut is spinning it is SUPER loose.

I would back the nut off and check the threads, they might be fucked up and need a clean with a tap/die.

[ May 03, 2012, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

if the strut is still loose with the strut nuts all snugged down and can't be tightened anymore because they are bottomed out, you likely have an incorrect amount or placement of spacers on the top of the strut if you are using c/c plates.
I do recall a small spacer on the underside of the plate I think??? maybe that shouldn't be in there? I still have stock caster/camber plates.

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been havin the same prob..when I turn the wheel or go over speedbunps..binding/popping noise

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
fast305s
¯
Member # 11897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast305s  Ford pictures for fast305s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the front lower A arm bushings

--------------------
Built, not bought.

95 mustang gt
73 f-100
06 powerstroke

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blind is one smart mofo!
fast305s
¯
Member # 11897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast305s  Ford pictures for fast305s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also check an make sure the strut bolt hole isn't wallered out, if it was loose enough to move around you mighta ovaled the hole out a little.

--------------------
Built, not bought.

95 mustang gt
73 f-100
06 powerstroke

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Update: I took out the small gold space that came with the new struts, and I didn't need to use it so I think this will help. Also I tighten up the sway bar end links a lot. They seemed way to loose, Because I lowered the car do I need to get different (shorter) end links for my sway bar? Also How much play should be in the front control arms. By that I mean if I jack the car up, How far should the wheel drop down? Mine barely moves at all. I used jack stands and put a jack under the control arm to put presser on it while I did all the work, however it really only moved maybe half an inch before started lifting the car off the jack stands. Could I have over tightened my control arm bushing bolts? Should there be more play in the control arm? Thanks

[ May 08, 2012, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: KCmustangboy ]

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Also I noticed this on the passenger side. I am guessing it's no longer any good. [Smile]

Picture of passenger side

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Also I noticed this on the passenger side. I am guessing it's no longer any good. [Smile]

Picture of passenger side

yea, doesnt look good...get some serviceable tie rod ends

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

I'm not sure what you are meaning to say (balljoint?) but a CV joint is on fwd/awd cars and trucks...not mustangs unless they have IRS, and then only in the rear, lol.

- +1 lol

(Constant Velocity)

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com