Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with wiring electric fans.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with wiring electric fans.
omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for omarquez510  Ford pictures for omarquez510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright guys, I need clarification on wiring my dual fans. This is not a fox application so i'll provide diagrams. This is going in a 5.0 swapped bmw e30. The O.E. bmw dual speed fan is too thick, so I pulled two small fans from a MBenz 190E.

I need to know if the resister before the fan motor is required. Or if I can just give them power and ground via relay.(Last diagram)

MBenz 190E dual fans
 -

BMW Dual Speed fan
 -

If I use the O.E. bmw wiring i would just use the normal speed temp switch and the high speed relay, right?

Ultimately I would love to use the following diagram for my fans. Just wondering what the deal is with the resistor before the fan motor. Can i just copy the diagram below and splice in the second fan?

-

[ April 23, 2012, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: omarquez510 ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the last diagram there is no resistor before the fan, that's the electrical symbol for ground.

You can only run one fan off each relay, if you want an easy way to wire 2 electric fans I'd recommend this diagram -

-

Substitute a fan for each of the speed settings on this diagram.

[ April 23, 2012, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for omarquez510  Ford pictures for omarquez510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea, I'm just wondering if I have to carry over the original resistor like pictured in the MBenz diagram.

Or Just splice the fan motors together and use the last diagram exactly as pictured w/o resistor

Got a bigger diagram lol?

[ April 23, 2012, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: omarquez510 ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
after looking at them, I think all the resistor does on the MBz fans is reduce the speed of the fan so it runs quieter.

if you want to see my diagram larger, open it in a new tab and hold down ctrl and scroll up with the mouse, it will zoom in like pinching on an iphone.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by omarquez510:
Yea, I'm just wondering if I have to carry over the original resistor like pictured in the MBenz diagram.

Or Just splice the fan motors together and use the last diagram exactly as pictured w/o resistor

Got a bigger diagram lol?

if you just splice the fan motors together off a single relay like your last diagram you may start a fire as the relay overheats worst case, best case the relay will work for a very short time before it gets melted/stuck in one position (Either on or off)

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

I got you. Thanks for the heads up.

Going to draw a diagram and post it up later today.

omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

Couldnt figure out libreoffice Draw on Ubuntu. So i drew something up.

Basically going to use the O.E BMW temp switch and relays. Going to ditch the resistor. This was the easiest solution I found. Is it going to work?

-

omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

Basically the only modifications to the stock wiring. Sorry about the huge pics.

-

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

that looks like it should be fine, might be loud when both fans kick on to full power though.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

omarquez510
¯
Member # 11233

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
that looks like it should be fine, might be loud when both fans kick on to full power though.

Right on, thanks for your help.
American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A grounded switch would be alot more safe and most temp sensors go to ground, even if it doesnt you only have to run one wire to the sensor instead of two. plus all the wiring you run to a switch is a ground so no chances of shorting later on down the road. Also no need for a 3 position switch or diode thing. I modified your picture to show a grounded toggle switch configuration where when key is on fans would be temp controlled and when switch is on the temp sender would be overriden. Also the light will be on anytime fan is active. Just something to think about. your diagram above would also work fine as well.

-

[ April 23, 2012, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: 5.0 Pro ]

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Honestly, go to vic hubbard and buy the adjustable fan controller. The wiring is a hundred times better. Just need power, ground. Put the aluminum sender near the upper hose, adjust your temperature based on your preferences.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by Wrenchin:
Honestly, go to vic hubbard and buy the adjustable fan controller. The wiring is a hundred times better. Just need power, ground. Put the aluminum sender near the upper hose, adjust your temperature based on your preferences.

he already has temperature switches on the car, there's no reason to bypass something that's already there and working, he just wants to integrate it into a better system with 2 fans.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0907_thermostatically_controlled_electric_fan_upgrade/index.html
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com