Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » starter question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: starter question
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 87 mustang gt with h/c/I. Since august I've put in 4 starters that all work and operater fine but the teeth are being filed down so much that they won't engage the fly wheel. When i first install the starter brand new out the box I notice it takes a lil longer to start, which I'm sure is stressing out the starter teeth. These are value craft and duralast starters from autozone. My question is what could be making my fly wheel so hard to turn? Should I jus say forget it and jus get a minni tourqer? Or will I still have the same problem?
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good chance it's not the starter but an alignment problem. Either the bellhousing is not aligned properly or the starter mounting holes in the bellhousing are not aligned properly. You need to check that the starter gear fully extends and engages into the teeth of the flywheel.

After going through 4 starters, I would check the teeth on the flywheel as well. They may be chewed up by now.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I jus look'd at the fly wheel and the teeth look pretty abused

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com