Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Porting heads & intake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Porting heads & intake
CarlosLaz
¯
Member # 11235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarlosLaz  Ford pictures for CarlosLaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got an 88 5.0 with headers, 70 mm throttle body & cold air intake if I port heads & intake how much HP could I realistically expect??

--------------------
Carlos Laz

Posts: 67 | From: Redwood City / San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
honestly, your better off finding some gt40 heads and a explorer intake.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by norcalfiddy:
honestly, your better off finding some gt40 heads and a explorer intake.

+10

plus its cheaper

[ April 05, 2012, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: 84SVOrick ]

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your talking about your stock heads and intake...yes HUGE waste

first off the stock intake will support 300 hp easily, and you wont get that out of E7 heads even if you DID spend $1000 to open the ports to paper thin, new valves etc

secondly...the upper cant be ported other than extrude honing it for $500 unless you cut in half...port it and reweld it.

you will however get very nice gains (not on stock stuff) by just porting the exhaust ports on the heads and a good valve job (get rid of the thermactor bump if it has one)

on the lower intake..just smooth out the turns

match the heads to lower and gasket match the rest, for about $500 you should squeeze roughly 25-50% more from being box stock

DONT OVER PORT !!!!!

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
CarlosLaz
¯
Member # 11235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarlosLaz  Ford pictures for CarlosLaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm actually gona bid 4 these heads here & I was told porting the stock intake could give me a 15-20 HP gain this is not true?

--------------------
Carlos Laz

Posts: 67 | From: Redwood City / San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will gain some power but its not cost effective. If your going for cheap just buy some gt40s. porting e7's is like polishing a turd afterward its still a piece of shit.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CarlosLaz:
I'm actually gona bid 4 these heads here & I was told porting the stock intake could give me a 15-20 HP gain this is not true?

If you are going to swap heads then get a Cobra intake and port the lower.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
porting the stock intake is very difficult because you can't gain access to much of the runners without cutting the whole side of the intake off and welding it back on...unless you have the ability to do that yourself and weld the cast aluminum back together yourself then it's going to be cheaper with more gain to just grab a cobra/explorer/edelbrock/holley/bbk/whatever other intake and bolt it on with a bigger throttle body to match whatever heads you decide to go with.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have gt40s with an typhoon intake (edlebrock knock off) and an tfs1 cam...im able to beat and keep up with folks with aluminum heads... only paid $180 for the heads never been ported by the way [Wink] [Big Grin] [burnout]

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CarlosLaz:
I was told porting the stock intake could give me a 15-20 HP gain this is not true?

if you multiplied your gains by 4....you wouldnt see 15-20

i used a ported lower real gt40......went to the track one weekend....swapped it out...went the next weekend.

ZERO gain, i expected that...but just wanted to see. it was a killer deal and i wasnt gonna pass it up

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com