Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 9 inch rearend

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 9 inch rearend
KETCHUP
¯
Member # 9824

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KETCHUP  Ford pictures for KETCHUP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im looking to get a rearend built for my mustang. what do you guys think about this.?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-9-Rearend-1967-1970-Ford-Mustang-9-Inch-/370346864860?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D69761584 82314732246

--------------------
68 MUSTANG COUPE PROJECT:
347 STROKER
GW SUSPENSION
BUILT REAREND
WILWOOD BRAKES

"si no sirves pa` matar
sirves para que te maten"

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was checking his stuff out last year, are you looking to get big bearings and upgraded axles?

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
KETCHUP
¯
Member # 9824

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KETCHUP  Ford pictures for KETCHUP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
small bearing and go with diff axles.

[ March 13, 2012, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: KETCHUP ]

--------------------
347 STROKER
GW SUSPENSION
BUILT REAREND
WILWOOD BRAKES

"si no sirves pa` matar

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep an eye out on craigs list. I came across a deal here for a 69 mustang 9" with detroit locker & 3:70 grears for 500 bucks. Was a complete rear end. The 67-68 cougar 9" will fit as well as the 69-70 mustangs. They all fit in the 67-68 mustang with no modifications. I can see getting the 3rd member, but the housings are pretty easy to come by. If you have a 8" now the axles and drum brakes will work for the 9" small bearing.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/rearend-swap-info-faq.656567/

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

KETCHUP
¯
Member # 9824

my stock 8 inch has 28 spline axles. No need for drums im going with wilwood disc kit. but yea ill be on the look out for a housing. what axles would u recommend? and what 3rd member?

[ March 13, 2012, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: KETCHUP ]

--------------------
347 STROKER
GW SUSPENSION
BUILT REAREND
WILWOOD BRAKES

"si no sirves pa` matar

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

there's 2 major pieces to a rear end the housing and the 3rd member. the 3rd member has the gears and the locker/posi unit in it. if your not running hella power and plan on using slicks & 5k launches at the track, the 28 spline axles will be fine. i beat the crap out of my 28 spline axles and have never had a problem. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-9-Complete-Third-Member-NASCAR-3-10-with-Detroit-Locker-/150772968686?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231ac4ecee&vxp=mtr#ht_678wt_805

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2900234688.html

spools kinda suck & lockers make alot of noise, but you cant beat the posi all the time..

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2899895785.html

[ March 13, 2012, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------

KETCHUP
¯
Member # 9824

i probly wont have the need for the 31 spline but in the future if i was to add more power i wont have to worry bout the rear.its going to be mostly a street car but would hit the track sometimes

whats the difference between spool vs. locker?

--------------------
347 STROKER
GW SUSPENSION
BUILT REAREND
WILWOOD BRAKES

"si no sirves pa` matar

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

A locker is able to disengage when you turn, a spool never disengages. If the car is mainly a street car go with limited slip. Uses clutch plates to engage the posi. The Lockers are very noise and clunkly. I kinda wish i would have stuck with the limited slip.
Spools = no fun on turns, stay far away from them.

--------------------

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a locker in my 70. the difference is the spool is always locked so making turns you will have your tires squeeling, the locker will ratchet and allow turning. its noisy when turning but i never mind it. if your looking for a quiet smooth operation look into a tru-trac.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
KETCHUP
¯
Member # 9824

i dont think ill mind the locker noise. but ill look into the tru-trac. thanks for the info and advice. [patriot]

--------------------
347 STROKER
GW SUSPENSION
BUILT REAREND
WILWOOD BRAKES

"si no sirves pa` matar

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea i dont mind the noise at all. its great i dont think i would go any other way, in my 5.0 i have a tru trac.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
rwc
¯
Member # 8047

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rwc  Ford pictures for rwc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 41 chevy that i put a g-body frame under and i bought one of his housings got it up graded with 35 spline axels and 5/8 studs. everything lined up looks real good too. plus it was a great price.
Posts: 405 | From: redwood city ca | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 9" center section with a good trac lock posi. And low 3 gears. was going to put in the maro but changed my mind. I have a housing also but it's setup for a 70's maro. But could be narrowed and i have axles. lmk if your intrested.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com