Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tach install on a 89 lx

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tach install on a 89 lx
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have it mounted an hooked up but where do I connect the wire for the back lit light? This is the only problem I ran into. Thanks

--------------------
66 mustang v6 converted to 351w(sold)
89 mustang lx(sold)
88 mustang gt(current DD)

S550_Andres
¯
Member # 11083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S550_Andres  Ford pictures for S550_Andres    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had that same issue so what I connected it to a direct word then installed a switch to turn it on at night an off in the day

--------------------
86 notch coyote swapped
89 convertible 302 hci
85 notch 347 hci

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the back of the dimmer switch, there is a light blue wire. Tap into that one and the back light on the tach will light up with your light switch, and dim when you use the dimmer switch. At least I think it's the light blue one with the white stripe. That's what I did and it works great. Yes, you have to take off the dash piece but it's pretty easy.
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the easiest would be the illum. wire for the cd player. dont know what wire it is but just poke around in there with a voltmeter while playing with the lights and dimmer switch and look for the change

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i tapped in to the fuse panel. forgot what one, (ill check tomorrow) and it worked perfect. light turned on and off with the dash lights.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rayski25  Ford pictures for rayski25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ight I'll try most of these tomorrow that's guys

--------------------
89 mustang lx(sold)

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its either a brown or white wire behind the light switch button

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tapped mine into my dimmer switch with a snap on tap connector..
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
rayski25
¯
Member # 11363

I tried the fuse box no luck
I tried the light switch also with no luck
I tryed the dimmer but couldn't really get to it is their anyway to pull it out?

--------------------
89 mustang lx(sold)

just_another_ 91
¯
Member # 9317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for just_another_ 91  Ford pictures for just_another_ 91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its the blue and red wire by the stereo

--------------------
R.I.P 91 Black LX: 13.45@102.62

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could jus run it to a constant 12v source, but the wire behind the light switch is key

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
white wire= to brown wire under headlight switch
black wire= ground it in a clean spot
green wire= to + on coil
red wire= yellow ign wire on ign switch

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com