Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » vortech blower timing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: vortech blower timing
Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo 66  Ford pictures for Turbo 66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got a vortech with 4lbs of boost what should my timing be at the car is running rich as hell, it also has trick flow heads and f303 with the 42lbs injectors and matching maf! thanx in advance

--------------------
66 coupe

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by underconstructiongt:
got a vortech with 4lbs of boost what should my timing be at the car is running rich as hell, it also has trick flow heads and f303 with the 42lbs injectors and matching maf! thanx in advance

You're only making 4 psi?? You have some issues if thats the case.

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, what pulley are u running?

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbo 66  Ford pictures for Turbo 66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
6lb pulley, haven't done a full W.O.T run cause the car is running so damn rich it feels like its choking so Mich gas on it and I just have a 195gph fuel pump

--------------------
66 coupe

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
6lb pulley, haven't done a full W.O.T run cause the car is running so damn rich it feels like its choking so Mich gas on it and I just have a 195gph fuel pump

So, how can this be running rich? That pump's maxed out, what you really need is a vortech boost box. So you can have the timing pull itself back on it's own.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your fuel pressure? What is your timing at now?

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

got the timing at 6* btdc and the fuel pressure is at 35psi at iddle but once i start to drive you can hear the car chocking and after driving it for a couple of mins when you come to a stop the car shuts off.

--------------------
66 coupe

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you got a vacuum line disconnected.
Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

I've looked for vaccum leaks from day one cant find any, i also installed an msd al6 box, with a crane cams fire ball coil.

--------------------
66 coupe

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bump up your initial timing to 11-12. 6 is way too low and your not running crazy amounts of boost. Get your total timing to 31-32. On mine, i had ran 38 total with boost retard set at 3/4 per pound of boost running a 10lb pulley. This seemed to be the sweet spot for my setup. How many lbs of vac to you have at idle?
American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
need to get a boost retard box and get that timing back up. night and day difference

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

vac. is steady at 10lbs, got the timing at 12* the car iddles alot better and the manifolds are glowing red hot so i think the car is leaning out now.

--------------------
66 coupe

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

10lbs low for your car? You got a big cam? Glowing manifolds could mean being lean, timing still, vacuum leak still or a clogged cat. Might be time to start spending some money. I would start off with the boost timer so you can get your timing in order.
dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TDC again with a piston-stop.
Mark the balancer as required.
The timing is too retarded.
Fuel pressure should be 42-44psi. [patriot]

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :
Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

so i added some 100 octane and the car iddles better the cats are comming off today, i think they broke, the vaccum goes up and down when the car is cold but once it warms up it stays steady at 10 lbs. what should my vaccum be at?

p.s. i am in the market for a timing retard box if anyone here has one for sale?

--------------------
66 coupe

93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive got a buddy that is getting rid of his MSD btm with dial switch etc.. Dont need it anymore as I am installing a stand alone ecu. He also has a aftermarket MAF calibrated for 36lb injectors. You will need to drive to santa rosa to pick the parts up, but it will be worth the drive. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks
Lawrence

Turbo 66
¯
Member # 7378

got the car to iddle and runs good first and second gears but once i hit 3rd the car just nose dives and blower would not boost, any input on it has anybody have this problem before?

--------------------
66 coupe

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
got the car to iddle and runs good first and second gears but once i hit 3rd the car just nose dives and blower would not boost, any input on it has anybody have this problem before?

Is it pulling too much timing? If it's detonating or misfiring you won't register boost accurately. What is base idle timing, how about spark advance.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com