Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » running rich with poor mpg need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: running rich with poor mpg need help
boss306
¯
Member # 10509

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for boss306  Ford pictures for boss306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 1992 mustang gt 5spd with 3.27 gears got the car smogged it passed but the guy said that it was running rich it runs fine but the idle seems a bit high after its warmed up to temp it idles at 1k thats with the throttle screw backed all the way out the tps is set at .98v timming is at 14 deg it their is no serging or bucking im getting about 15 highway any sugestions thanks
Posts: 28 | From: kingsburg ca | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the vacuum line off of the FPR and see if fuel comes out.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
boss306
¯
Member # 10509

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for boss306  Ford pictures for boss306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok will do but what will that tell me
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That your FPR is bad and fuel is getting sucked into the upper intake. Pull the vacuum line off with it running if you weren't aware.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

boss306
¯
Member # 10509

ok thanks i will do it after the wife gets home she is driving it to and from work right now her pos vw jetta is leaking cooliant
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
Originally posted by boss306:
her pos vw jetta is leaking cooliant

A little off topic

I hear about VW's being pieces of shit, I have a 2000 TDI Jetta as a beater/daily, it has 315,000 miles on it and still gets 45MPG [Eek!] She's a hog....

boss306
¯
Member # 10509

hers is a 1999 2.0 has no balls at all like at a slight incline if we are going 60 and try to pass a car we need about 400 yards to pass them and by the time we get around them we might be going 70 75 if we are lucky the thing drinks oil like soda has gone through i think 4 alts and three batterys and i just put in a radiator in it and what a pain in the ass that was the front end had to come off and their was probely over 100 nuts and screws and now the tranny or torqe converter is slipping i hate that thing i feel better now
boss306
¯
Member # 10509

pulled the vac line off the fpr no gas came out by the way i do have a fairly new msd dizzy msd coil and new spark plugs.
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
two things you will want to check.

Maf voltage. make sure your maf is working correctly. Do a throttle snap test and see if the voltage maxes out at just over 4v ( should be around 4.2-4.3)

Check your upstream o2 sensors. Make sure they are switching from .1-.9v.

This is another step to check after the basics have been looked over ( vacuum leaks, egr not stuck, tps voltage and no drop outs etc..)

Lawrence

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com