Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 90 5.0 Stalls?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 90 5.0 Stalls?
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 90 mustang 5.0 with hci 5 speed seems to die after its warmed up when i stop for a while then start the car back up it will just cut off completely and all guages zero out. I can start the car right back up floor it and usually it wont do this again until i get home and need to park. Then when switching from neutral to drive the car will die out again.Im thinking a possible tfi or ground wire problem. Any other ideas? Just some background info cant be maf has done this with two different units, has 24 lb injectors also did it back when i had 19s. Thanks for the info ahead of time.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TTT

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a bad tfi wouldn't let you start it back up right away.

what is your timing at, and how much vacuum do you have at idle? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car was acting the same It would want to turn off only when it was at normal temp and it won't turn back on and i would have to wait for it to cool down and it would start up no prob it ended up being my distributor
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

So I scanned the car doing a self test i pulled

34 Egr(EVp) Closed Valve Signal Too High

34Egr (Evp) Closed valve signal low circuit

66 Airflow (MAF/Vaf) Signal Low Circuit Ground

96 Fuel Pump Circuit Open -Battery to Eca

First thing ive down is cleaned out the egr it was full of soot car seems to burn alot clean now i will think of replacing this anyway soon, car is still equipped with all emissions euipment and has a a bbk catted h pipe.
I now notice after some testing this weekend the car sometimes dies after i get on it and dump the clutch in neutral to come to a stop. Im thinking this may be fuel related issue so i am planning on getting a fuel guage to test it next. I will also get out the dmm and test voltage for each component. I do notice that the car will die once i disconnect the air filter or the mass air connector it self.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it dies while coming to a stop, a lot of times that is just the VSS (speed sensor) on the tranny is unplugged or the wires are messed up. Does your cruise control work?

It has no bearing on the speedometer working as that is mechanical, but the VSS is the sensor that the speedo cable attaches to and it gives the ECU a speed signal to keep the idle bumped while rolling in neutral (clutch in).

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Yea ill check that. idle air control also came to my mind so im gona inspect that too. Its just funny cus when it runs i feel nothing holding it back it runs like a beast. i just hate looking like a rookie when my car just dies out and i feel bad when i smoke up the people standing at the corner going sideways just to keep the car on.

--------------------

wilber650
¯
Member # 10360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilber650  Ford pictures for wilber650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HAve you looked for vacumm leaks?

--------------------
2014 mustang Gt
2004 f150 fx4
1998 Cobra sold
1994 Gt sold

ISLDOUT
¯
Member # 5960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISLDOUT  Ford pictures for ISLDOUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has this problem been solved? I've got a similar problem that happens every so often.
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Still searching for the problem im looking for a vacuum and fuel gauge so i can test for in depth. Also looking for my timing light to adjust that some. Its weird because it happens when getting off the freeway too some times check engine light comes on and car just dies i can pop it back in gear to start it back up after.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com