Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » hesitation at WOT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: hesitation at WOT
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
98 cobra, So whenever you go WOT, and put the motor under load, as in being at like 2000rpms in 5th gear and then flooring it. The car slowly accelerates which is normal, I should downshift... However I can feel a lot of hesitation in the motor, like it's missing a little. Anything help is great. Sorry guys I know these are mostly dumb questions but I am totally knew to the 4.6 platform and learning on the 4v I just got. It has the stock 1998 spark plug wires lol... hopefully changing them helps.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have a check engine light on?

It sounds like you are describing a misfire condition. I believe your car uses two group coils? Anyhow, if it is only misfiring under load. It is most likely spark plug related or faulty ignition wires. The easiest thing to replace is the spark plugs. Make sure to not touch the porcelain and inspect it for carbon tracking. If you see carbon tracking, you may want to replace the wires. I always prefer to use OEM motorcraft ignition components, but other may do the job.

Lawrence

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93 twintrbo:
Do you have a check engine light on?

It sounds like you are describing a misfire condition. I believe your car uses two group coils? Anyhow, if it is only misfiring under load. It is most likely spark plug related or faulty ignition wires. The easiest thing to replace is the spark plugs. Make sure to not touch the porcelain and inspect it for carbon tracking. If you see carbon tracking, you may want to replace the wires. I always prefer to use OEM motorcraft ignition components, but other may do the job.

Lawrence

Thanks, I'll do the plugs and wires and see if it clears up this weekend.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had that problem on my 97, I did the plugs and wires and ran like new

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Plugs and Wires and all better.... still have my idle problem at 1800

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coil packs maybe...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Disregard my post above....I thought u still had the initial problem...vacuum maybe?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com