Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help with Methanol kit install

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Methanol kit install
redsaleen
¯
Member # 5565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsaleen  Ford pictures for redsaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guys I need to firsthand advice on intalling my meth inj system.

My car: 1989 gt
331 stroker stock block
10:1 comp
afr 185s
holley systemax
vortech v2 s trim
tfs stage one cam smog legal

Questions:

1) Where do you mount the components: the pump (behind front bumper, on the frame rail, driver passenger side), the nozzle (in the blower discharge tube before the throttle body, how far forward before the throttle body)?

2) I was told to relocate the incoming air temp sonsor (IAT) to the blowers discharge tube. I was told to place it before the throttle body and then place the injection nozzle 6 inches in front of the IAT. Is it necessary to relocate the IAT to the discharge tube from the stock location?

3) If I do have to relocate it, is there a clean way of moving the wiring to the discharge tube? I dont want to cut and lengthen the factory wiring. Will the factory wiring and clip reach the discharge tube?

4) Does anyone have pics of their intsallation in the foxbody. That would be heplful.

Also, when getting my car tuned for the meth injection, do I leave on my bassani catted x pipe or do I put on an offroad pipe. I mainly drive with the cats, however I may remove them and install an offroad to go to the track.

Thanks for all the help, my experience with all this is very limited

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
79 cobra on here is very helpful an knowledgeable.
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where are you located??

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by redsaleen:
Guys I need to firsthand advice on intalling my meth inj system.

My car: 1989 gt
331 stroker stock block
10:1 comp
afr 185s
holley systemax
vortech v2 s trim
tfs stage one cam smog legal

Questions:

1) Where do you mount the components: the pump (behind front bumper, on the frame rail, driver passenger side), the nozzle (in the blower discharge tube before the throttle body, how far forward before the throttle body)?

2) I was told to relocate the incoming air temp sonsor (IAT) to the blowers discharge tube. I was told to place it before the throttle body and then place the injection nozzle 6 inches in front of the IAT. Is it necessary to relocate the IAT to the discharge tube from the stock location?

3) If I do have to relocate it, is there a clean way of moving the wiring to the discharge tube? I dont want to cut and lengthen the factory wiring. Will the factory wiring and clip reach the discharge tube?

4) Does anyone have pics of their intsallation in the foxbody. That would be heplful.

Also, when getting my car tuned for the meth injection, do I leave on my bassani catted x pipe or do I put on an offroad pipe. I mainly drive with the cats, however I may remove them and install an offroad to go to the track.

Thanks for all the help, my experience with all this is very limited

i would put it in the trunk and run it before the supercharger it will not void anything and will keep your charger from cooking your oil plus relocate your iat sensor and put it 4-6 inches from throttle body if your near hayward i can give you a hand just let me no and if you need any other help with the water methanol just hit me upp

[ February 09, 2012, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: 79 cobra ]

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I never heard of relocating the IAT/ACT to the intake tube... [Confused]

There have been discussions as to where to plumb the injector nozzle. One concern was before the blower, few people have experienced damage to the "impeller". Because of that I put my injector after the blower.

--------------------

www.fordstrokers.com

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you relocate the iat sensor is does not get engine heat soak and gives you a better reading you dont have to do it but works a lot better if you do and when i had my t-trim a ran it right on the elbow of the power pipe aiming right at the impeller ran it for like 5000 miles no problem and picked up 78rwhp and my iats stayed around 90-110 at full boost with 14psi

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

quote:
Originally posted by 79 cobra:
when you relocate the iat sensor is does not get engine heat soak and gives you a better reading you dont have to do it but works a lot better if you do and when i had my t-trim a ran it right on the elbow of the power pipe aiming right at the impeller ran it for like 5000 miles no problem and picked up 78rwhp and my iats stayed around 90-110 at full boost with 14psi

Interesting. OK I have some reading to do!

Right now my IAT/ACT is in the stock location. Since it's just a sensor how compatible are the new ones on a fox A9L? Compatible?

--------------------

www.fordstrokers.com

redsaleen
¯
Member # 5565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsaleen  Ford pictures for redsaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the help guys. Im located in SF but my car is not driveable. I sent my chip out to Bob Kurgan so that he could give me a start up tune before his dyno day in Sac.

When you tap into the discharge tube for the IAT sensor and the injection nozzle, How do you orient them. At the 9 o'clock position, meaning spraying towrds the drivers side, at the 6 o'clock position, meaning athe the bottom of the discharge tube firing up, or the 3 o'clock

How far from the throttle body do you mount the IAT sensor, and how far from the Iat sensor to the nozzle. The nozzle will be between the blower and the Iat sensor.

By the way, instead of cutting my IAT sensor hanrness and lengthening it to reach the discharge tube, I went to pick n pull and got another connector with the wiring. My plan it to attach the new connector and wire to the original one, so that the original wire is not cut and spliced. The original IAT will remain in itsstock location, but disconnected. I will buy a new IAT sensor to put into the Discharge tube.

Just in case i want to remove everything, the wiring isnt hacked up.

Did you guys use the windshield wiper fluid res, and if so, how did you mount the low level fluid sensor that come in the AEM reservoir tank.

If you used the tank that came with the kit where did you mount it.

Thanks for all the help

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

check your other thread on Corral one guy posted pix of his setup. Mine is very close to his and I used the washer tank. I do plan on switching it out and using the kit tank eventually. We'll do that when Dvuspny(Scott)takes care of my wires.

I'll also be moving my IAT as well, like you I'lll leave the stock one in it's place and use one of the newer sensors on the inlet pipe.

I wanted mine hidden, so I tapped mine from the bottom of the pipe (6 o'clock) and ran the line along the pinch along the firewall. The parts from the tank transfer over easily just take your time with the drill and check it.

One thing I noticed you have not mentioned yet is the Methanol. Being in Ca you will not find -20 washer fluid especially here in the bay area. You will likely need to pick up a 5gallon drum of methanol and mix it. Keep this in mind when you reach this point. If you're using the -20 washer fluid, its 2 bottles of HEET (the yellow bottles) to 1 gallon of -20.

[ February 09, 2012, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: RAP66 ]

--------------------

www.fordstrokers.com

93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are mounting the tank in the trunk, make sure your nozzle is higher than the tank. If it is lower, it can siphon all the methanol into your piping. Its also a good idea to use a one way check valve.

On every meth kit I install, I always used a check valve. I like to mount the nozzle about 6-8" away from throttle body. I prefer to mount the pump onto the frame rail or close to the front of the car. I also like to use the windshield washer bottle to house the methanol as most vehicles have a low level indicator to warn you. On the nozzle selection, I like to run one small and one large nozzle because each nozzle atominize differently.

Lawrence

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com