Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog
joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joeca12  Ford pictures for joeca12    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think my car is good to smog but anyone have good recommendation on smog guys that are'nt aceholes? Nit Picky!
joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for joeca12  Ford pictures for joeca12    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brentwood Preferably
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem, i went to smog express, im never going there agian..

if i were you try somewhere in oakley or antioch, like those little shops that wont really care too much, cool people. look around for some coupons too, it helps.

i went to smog express, they said it was $50 and i ended up being $80 and it never passed.

check this out: http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051680

[ February 08, 2012, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: norcalfiddy ]

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

Thanks. I failed to today. 3 Things

1. They said my timing is off(basically the car idles at 1k). I have a cam.

2. Check Engine light does not come on when you turn key.

3. Evap test. The tech said the line that runs from the canister to the tank has a leak.

This sucks! Emission were fine. Any ideas on how to repair the check enging light and evap line??? I also don't know how to ajust the timing. Trying not to regret buying this thing without smog. I already dumped 600 into a new magnaflow CA legal X pipe. That was not to hard to put on. But not sure on timing and evap?

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by joeca12:
Thanks. I failed to today. 3 Things

1. They said my timing is off(basically the car idles at 1k). I have a cam.

2. Check Engine light does not come on when you turn key.

3. Evap test. The tech said the line that runs from the canister to the tank has a leak.

This sucks! Emission were fine. Any ideas on how to repair the check enging light and evap line??? I also don't know how to ajust the timing. Trying not to regret buying this thing without smog. I already dumped 600 into a new magnaflow CA legal X pipe. That was not to hard to put on. But not sure on timing and evap?

did it fail the visual because you dont have a CARB number for the cam?

and if you want, i can set your timing for you. i live in brentwood too and it will only take a few minutes. and not sure about the EVAP.

id go over and check your vacuum lines, check your egr also, i think theres like a filter looking thing on you smog hoses that could get clogged up, not sure. never dealed with that.

--------------------

joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

Not sure what that means. But I did'nt fail visual other than heck engine light does not come on when you turn the key. All other lights come on and turn off the check engine doesn't at all. How much do you charge for timing? I would want it adjusted back once the smog is done. Do you use a timing light?

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

quote:

Not sure what that means. But I did'nt fail visual other than heck engine light does not come on when you turn the key. All other lights come on and turn off the check engine doesn't at all. How much do you charge for timing? I would want it adjusted back once the smog is done. Do you use a timing light?

if it has a cam, its needs a CARB number (smog legal sticker) and yea i have a timing gun, and yea i can change it back after smog.

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
evap can be a bitch because its most likely a hairline crack in one of the lines. if i were you i would see if u can take ur stang to the engine performance/ smog classes at LMC. i go to chabot personally, but people do this all the time and usually they might just pay the students for labor by buying em pizza. LMC has has HAS to have a smoke machine. they will pinch off the line, just like in the test and shoot smoke into the system to help them find a leak. once u find a leak, just repair it. LMC mosty likely has an EVAP machine to retest it after to verify it is a sealed unit again.

most colleges look at it this way: they are teaching the students real life situations and not using money from their budget by taking in customer cars, so they are all for it. look up on the college website on their schedule to see when the engine performance or smog or fuel and emissions class is going on and go there one day and talk to the teacher.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

I dont't mind relpacing the whole line if its not too difficult. Just wondering if the tank needs to be dropped in order to do this. Is it rubber hose all the way to the back on the tank or does it convert rubber to metal to rubber??
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to be rude, but ur jumping the gun by thinking its gotta be a line. Or so it seems. U could have a bad gasket for the fuel pump, or a cracked filler neck. A cracked elbow on the tank for evap lines. Quite a few possibilities. A smoke machine will get rid of headaches associated with part replacement trial and error. Sometimes u get lucky and easily spot a hairline cracked rubber hose, replace it and cure the leak.

--------------------

WAR189
¯
Member # 11072

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WAR189  Ford pictures for WAR189    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Firehouse smog in Antioch was pretty cool. Usually has coupons too.

--------------------
CAfurds
91' GT

joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

I understand what your saying bentley just wish I did'nt have to pay $95 bucks. I feel like I could put that into changing lines and whatnot. But get what you mean if it still fails I would be pissed.
SneakyStang87
¯
Member # 10724

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SneakyStang87  Ford pictures for SneakyStang87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Antioch Smog Center $50 out the door

--------------------
00 z28-dd
79 Coupe-Project Almost done
93 Drop Top-Got Jacked
87 lx-crashed
89 gt-sold
90 lx supercharged-sold

Posts: 272 | From: 925 to 916 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SneakyStang87
¯
Member # 10724

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SneakyStang87  Ford pictures for SneakyStang87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alot of mustangs have bad sending unit seals and the filler neck seals go bad all the time

--------------------
00 z28-dd
79 Coupe-Project Almost done
93 Drop Top-Got Jacked
87 lx-crashed
89 gt-sold
90 lx supercharged-sold

Posts: 272 | From: 925 to 916 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
joeca12
¯
Member # 11651

Just a quick update. The vent valve gasket on the gas tank was bad. Replace all the hoses anyway but I think the gasket was the culprit. I passed and am all good. Thanks for all the info.
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

quote:
Just a quick update. The vent valve gasket on the gas tank was bad. Replace all the hoses anyway but I think the gasket was the culprit. I passed and am all good. Thanks for all the info.

Glad to hear it [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com