Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » manual vs auto Tranny

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: manual vs auto Tranny
blak90gt
¯
Member # 11404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blak90gt  Ford pictures for blak90gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 90 gt with an AOD im deciding on either getting a heavy duty AOD or swaping out to a tremec TKO 500?? what is the best for me? i want street/strip performance.
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IMO:
drag--auto
stick--everything else

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stick FTW!! unless you will be heading down the 1320 a lot, Even then a STICK, cant beat the "ANY STALL" converter LOL
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stick!! chicks dig it [Wink]
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5 speed you have control of the car.....automatic is automatically slow

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
blak90gt
¯
Member # 11404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blak90gt  Ford pictures for blak90gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think im going to go with stick, i had one before and they are way more run to drive. do anyone have a idea of what i could be paying to do the swap? i looked up Tremec TKO 500 on CJ Pony parts and there going to $2165 not bad for a beefed up tranny.
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto = for for consistency (drag racing)

stick = for everything under the sun [patriot]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe in manual transmission over an auto most of the time. Shows real driving skills. Some require autos with high amounts of power....

Street cars should all have sticks... Autos are missing the fun factor lol

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rfox90:
I think im going to go with stick, i had one before and they are way more run to drive. do anyone have a idea of what i could be paying to do the swap? i looked up Tremec TKO 500 on CJ Pony parts and there going to $2165 not bad for a beefed up tranny.

skip the 500 and go with the 600

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

blak90gt
¯
Member # 11404

whats the difference between the 500 and the 600? and price?
blak90gt
¯
Member # 11404

i looked them up and the differnece is the 500 can handle 500 lb.-ft and the 600 can handle 600 lb.-ft and also the gear ratio is closer in the 600. thnaks for the tip its a better tranny and same price.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com