Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 lug conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 lug conversion
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any one know the cheapest way to do a 5 lug conversion on 1989 mustang need it asap

--------------------
TEAM CGS

American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pick n pull. mark vii rotors, ranger axles (2 driver side) should be plenty of.both out.there

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good looking out cobra but do you what year for mark and year for ranger and a rough cost estimate

--------------------
TEAM CGS

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx4cyl  Ford pictures for 93lx4cyl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Should be 88-94ish driver side ranger axles, aerostar passenger axles hear work too, and 90s mark rotors. Correct me if I'm wrong might be off a smidge on years. Or SVO rotors will work as well
Posts: 204 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the input guys but now I have a dilemma by doing this conversion will I be able to throw on 17in by 8s in the front and 17in by 10.5 in the rear????? I'm about to buy the deep dish bullits on american muscle and don't want to find out they don't fit

Thanks for all the responses in advance

--------------------
TEAM CGS

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the center caps on bullitts wont fit up front with a lincoln 5 lug swap. You need to go with an SN95 5 lug converion for them to fit right.

the 10.5's should fit in the rear because with ranger axles you retain the stock fox length axle spacing, you just may need to roll the fenders and remove the quad shocks depending on tire size and ride height.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx4cyl  Ford pictures for 93lx4cyl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a chance the bullits will fit by using spacers, longer wheel studs, tapping the dust cap in, and using steering rack limiters BUT might have fitment issues. One of the people at mylrs.com gave me that option for using their budget 5 lug conversion(svo set up with ranger 9"drum rear) as far as knowing anyone who has tried it that way unsure lol. I want to try it that way when I run bullits on my 5 lug svo/ranger swap soon.

Otherwise sn95set up in front solves your problem.

5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Dam alot of good info but sounds like a headache... Debating whether to do it....

Well either way if I do ranger axles will I be good doing 265/60r17 and I have a 2 in drop all around.

Or what if I go with the late model restoration kit will that let me ride the bullets with center caps on

--------------------
TEAM CGS

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Make it easier and get 94-95 spindles(newer ones I believe are a smidge bigger?) Calipers(better braking) rotors(easier to swap in a big brake set up) might be a bit more $ but is probably cheaper piece by piece
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ok so to do the 94 to 95 front what and what do I need to buy and do I have to modify anything about how much I'm I looking to spend

--------------------
TEAM CGS

CenCal Five0
¯
Member # 10533

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CenCal Five0  Ford pictures for CenCal Five0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used ranger axles and drums with mark VII rotors up front. i got everything from a wrecking yard for just under 100 bucks. im running dd bullitts fronts are 255's and had 305's on rear. also had to roll fender but qaud shock still in place and lowered on bbk springs. only negative thing for me is i coudnt use center cap on front.

[ February 06, 2012, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: CenCal Five0 ]

--------------------
85 GT 5.0
89 LX 5.0 (sold)
92 LX 5.0 (sold)
90 Coupe 5.0 (sold)
86 DropTop 5.0(sold)
03 GT 4.6 (sold)
02 GT 4.6 (totaled)
86 T-Top 5.0(sold)

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

94/95 spindles Calipers rotors and an adapter to work on passenger side caliper to the fox set up there's a part # for dorman on another thread ill post it if I find it before my phone dies lol
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Of u could a 95 gt front five lug just a lil harder but better cuz u could upgrade to cobra 13incj rotors and dual piston calipers I got driver and passenger calipers with brake lines that will bolt on to ur fox body lines and good brake pads and rotors all u would. Need is driver and passenger side sn95 spindle for. come pick them up for free I'm in Modesto
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your looking at more like $200 for pair of axles drums and spindles w/hubs at pick n pull

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went with 95 mustang up front and a passenger aerostar axles {same as the ranger driver sides alot less abuse on the van axles} for the rear and finned drums for a ranger out back soon I will be doing 95 disk swapp in the rear

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ok so im bringing the topic back up. I got sn95 front setup just on the look out for rear ranger axles. Also I have, another problem I been hearing 10.5 wheels don't really fit the rear. Now if they do fit whats the smallest width I can do on 10.5" and on 9" front wheel cuz I already have some 245/45 and wondering thats too small for the front

Any help is appreciated

--------------------
TEAM CGS

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 CGS:
Ok so im bringing the topic back up. I got sn95 front setup just on the look out for rear ranger axles. Also I have, another problem I been hearing 10.5 wheels don't really fit the rear. Now if they do fit whats the smallest width I can do on 10.5" and on 9" front wheel cuz I already have some 245/45 and wondering thats too small for the front

Any help is appreciated

thats plenty of tire for the front, i had that same size on my fox with a 9in rim and they rubbed fully turned, plus i didnt have rack limiters.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ok so wats the smallest I can ride on the rears and then whats the biggest without taking off the quad

--------------------
TEAM CGS

Chp23109
¯
Member # 10540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chp23109  Ford pictures for Chp23109    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 CGS:
Ok so wats the smallest I can ride on the rears and then whats the biggest without taking off the quad

Ok but what wheels are you getting? 17x10.5 or 17x9?

--------------------
Banned for violating everything from the anti-ghetto sign and what's written below it. And we were doing so good lately with these types of people too.
^^^^^^^
you read the above and this is your reply to us-

"Why I got ban. He talked me crab word to me. Hmmm lmk thank"

Seriously? Does yous gots ta ax Y? Der be de stuff written unda der no ghetto sign G. Readz iT, itz beez 'bout it bout it youz.

We're not even going to get into getting banned for making fake accounts here http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00008902

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
17X9=255/45/17 I think 10.5=315/30/17

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

I have 9" in the front and 10.5" in the rear

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com