Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Loud high pitch squeal from engine bay

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Loud high pitch squeal from engine bay
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I have the car at idle and i open her up WOT in neutral to rev the engine I notice a quick high pitch squeal.

I noticed that this just appeared after I upgraded to a 3g alternator. I also put a new belt on.

The belt seems to fit very tight but I have no real gauge of how well the belt fits other than on the belt tensioner there is a arrow that points to some engraving on the tensioner. Nothing is really written on it so I don't know if it's on the loose side of the engraving or tight side.

If I had to guess I would the say the belt if verrrrry tight. Trying to slide it on while using a breaker bar to loosing the tensioner was no easy feat.

Could an overly tight belt cause a squeal under WOT or what could be causing this? The alternator or maybe something else?

Any tips on narrowing down the options is greatly appreciated [patriot]

[ January 02, 2012, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try going half an inch up on the belt and also make sure that the belt is going the correct way around the water pump. I had that problem for a long time and it turned out to be that I had my belt going the wrong way around my water pump which made all the differene in the world wen selecting a belt size. Jus my .02
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea, potentially if the belt is too tight that could be the cause of the noise . What accsessorie drives do you have on the said car ? i.e. Ps pump , smog . Ac etc..
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay Ill check out the size and routing of the belt again.

The car has all of the stock acc on it. WP, Alt, PS, AC, Smog pump etc.

Thanks [patriot]

[ January 02, 2012, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
Okay Ill check out the size and routing of the belt again.

The car has all of the stock acc on it. WP, Alt, PS, AC, Smog pump etc.

Thanks [patriot]

Did the 3G alternator come with a pulley ? I have a feeling if it did that might be the problem if you're using a factory size serpentine belt ...
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My alternator used to do the same shit it sounded like it was ready to blow when I was on the dyno. But I replaced the alternator with a new one N it stopped making the sound. I was told that my bearings were gone. Kinda sounds like a mini s/c thats what I loved about it [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

The alt is brand new from pa performance so I doubt it's bad, but its a possibility.

It came w a pulley on it already. I have underdrive pulleys so when I put the alt on I had to try a bunch of different belts, can't remember the size but I'm pretty sure it's not the factory size belt.

Maybe I will call pa performance tomorrow.

[ January 03, 2012, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
The alt is brand new from pa performance so I doubt it's bad, but its a possibility.

It came w a pulley on it already. I have underdrive pulleys so when I put the alt on I had to try a bunch of different belts, can't remember the size but I'm pretty sure it's not the factory size belt.

Yea , give them a call .

Since it came with a pulley already installed it might be that it is larger than the stock piece and could be the reason the belt is so tight.

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

quote:
Originally posted by RONIN:
quote:

Yea , give them a call .

Since it came with a pulley already installed it might be that it is larger than the stock piece and could be the reason the belt is so tight.

What's the best way to measure the correct size belt I need?
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought the 95A alternator from PA Performance and it lasted about 2 months before it started sounding like a supercharger!! The bad thing is that the bearing cover on the back of the alternator came off and all the bearings scattered!! Here's my thread on AllFordMustangs site....
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/296617-my-pa-alternator-used-have-balls.html

The good news is that PA replaced it as well as paid for the shipping. The new one I have has been good for about 5 months or so now.....PA Performance said it was a "bad batch". Hope so!

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Wow really? I thought they had the best quality alts...at least they stood behind their product which is what counts.

I found my chiltons and it describes what each side of the bar means. the arrow on the tensioner points to it. It's on the loose side of the bar. Almost maxed out. I guess I bought the wrong one a while back. I have the one I took off. Ill check the length on it and slap it back on see if it makes a difference.

the belt i purchased is a 90 5/8". I believe the stock size for a car with p/s, smog pump and factory a/c etc is 90 7/8". With underdrive pulleys the pulley is larger so wouldn't I need something larger than stock? But I have a belt smaller than stock and it's still loose.

I CONFUSEEE! [Frown]

[ January 03, 2012, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com