Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » washed engine know have engine issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: washed engine know have engine issues
Os50s
¯
Member # 10500

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Os50s  Ford pictures for Os50s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I have a 1991 mustang engine is all stock passes smog. I washed the engine then started the car up about 5 min. After washing it then moved it about 40 feet to dry car then started it up again 15 min later to leave it started good but then it just shutoff now it has a very hard start and it backfires bad when u give gas to quick if u accelarrate slow it is ok but can't let idle because it will die need to give it gas so it can stay on thoose are all the symptoms I'm getting right now. Oh and my cluster doesn't work oil temp voltage I'm thinking it is a fuse. And the alternator is charging. I'm thinking it could be the throttle POS. Sensor or mass air any responses would be very appreciated.
Posts: 16 | From: san leandro | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
89 306
¯
Member # 9042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 306  Ford pictures for 89 306    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U might have gotten water in ur cap and maybe got water on the plugs too. Change them out

--------------------
02 mustang gt...mods soon to come!

89 lx: 306. edelbrock. heads..ported gt 40 manifolds..and all that other good stuff.

------------------
The ant-ghetto sign is no joke. Degrade this forum with ghetto behavior and get the boot. Ghetto behavior such as street slang, no regard for education (spelling & grammar) and threatening others with violence has no place on CAFords.com. Please find another forum to demonstrate such behavior.

Vallejo707
¯
Member # 10296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vallejo707  Ford pictures for Vallejo707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you din't cover the elec wires and alternator,dis cap etc now you know [Wink] I use aluminum foil works great. and try to avoid direct water to these parts.

--------------------
PS3 Game Tag: BeAsVtown
Sold: 2007 Yamaha R6 "Candy"
Sold: 1989 Mustang Vert
Current: 2012 Mustang 5.0

Posts: 799 | From: Vallejo,Ca | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive done the same thing , more likely than not you got water in the distributor . Take off the cap and rotor and blow the water out with an air compressor !
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive done that many of times, pop off the cap and dry it out...i bet theres tons of water in there

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you got water in the test port located on the firewall or by the brakebooster!

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALMOST STOCK  Ford pictures for ALMOST STOCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
you got water in the test port located on the firewall or by the brakebooster!

X2
Posts: 94 | From: Cameron Park, Calif | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the above.....also very easy to push water into the ten-pin connectors on the back of the upper intake manifold... Gotta be careful and Kwik when runnin thru pressure washing. When you get it goin again. Take it out for a drive on the freeway and get the air flow moving under the hood for 15-20mins. Clear out the distributor cap and insides before goin out on the road tho. leave it runnin for lil bit when you get back.

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com