Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how do u flip quad shocks on fox

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how do u flip quad shocks on fox
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im trying to buy tires 17" 315's for my rear but, i know i need to flip or remove quad shock.
Its for a 89 gt with 5lug conversion
is it easy?
Is there a link that tells how?
Any special tools?
Tips?
Good or bads?

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you would need 5 lug fox length axles or short ones cuz I don't know the ranger length but yea take that quad shock out and see what you can do

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all you gotta do is unbolt the quad shock, flip and bolt back in. all you need is a wrench and a ratchet. [patriot]

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there any disadvantage to flipping the quad shocks? or is it the same either way?

also, by flipping, im guessing it means to install it opposite so the larger section of the shock is attached to the frame and the shaft part attaches to the axle? does fluid leak out, eventually?

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by norcalfiddy:
all you gotta do is unbolt the quad shock, flip and bolt back in. all you need is a wrench and a ratchet. [patriot]

So the quad wont spring out?
does it need to be compressed while replace?

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take 2 bolts off and turn it around.. that's it

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:
quote:

So the quad wont spring out?
does it need to be compressed while replace?

it will spring out a little. but can be easly compressed by hand. and yes it will need to be compressed to replace.

--------------------

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
is there any disadvantage to flipping the quad shocks? or is it the same either way?

also, by flipping, im guessing it means to install it opposite so the larger section of the shock is attached to the frame and the shaft part attaches to the axle? does fluid leak out, eventually?

its the same either way.

larger section attaches to axle, shaft side attaches to frame. im pretty sure no fluid leaks out, alot of people do it.

--------------------

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

I hear ppl also just remove and dont replace, the only bad i heard from that is they cant do good donuts. Any input?

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I hear ppl also just remove and dont replace, the only bad i heard from that is they cant do good donuts. Any input?

if you have stock or shitty control arms, without the quad shocks you get wheel hop when the tires are spinning (burn out, power sliding, 'swangin dounts' etc).

if you have good lower control arms like maximum motorsports HD or XD arms, you won't get wheel hop without the quad shocks.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

if you have stock or shitty control arms, without the quad shocks you get wheel hop when the tires are spinning (burn out, power sliding, 'swangin dounts' etc).

if you have good lower control arms like maximum motorsports HD or XD arms, you won't get wheel hop without the quad shocks.

+1

--------------------

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Its for my wifes 5.0 so imma try to flip them but if they still dnt fit she should be good without them.
She doesnt do burnouts or swangem but she does like to race.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I've swumg my shit a few times N I've never had a quad shock didn't pretty good [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

I've swumg my shit a few times N I've never had a quad shock didn't pretty good [Big Grin]
Dnt u always say your rear bounces when you take off and it looks like its dancing. Also i heard u dnt have good take off cuz u have no traction.
im not dissn but do u think its because u dnt have quads or are ppl right about the whole driver mod thing.lol

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My torque boxes are gone that has nothing to do with the quad shock. Try launching at 5k N see what happens to your boxes lol

N only thing quad shocks would help me with is wheel hop on my brakestands

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
My torque boxes are gone that has nothing to do with the quad shock. Try launching at 5k N see what happens to your boxes lol

N only thing quad shocks would help me with is wheel hop on my brakestands

and donuts bro. i put some hotchkis lca's an tried to run without quadshocks an had wheel hop so we just flipped em an whala!!!! no wheelhop

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

I don't even have quad shocks to put on there thats why I don't have em on, no point on not runnin em if my wheels aint that wide.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

85staNg302
¯
Member # 9450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85staNg302  Ford pictures for 85staNg302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

+1
+2 I have mm lowers and removed quad shocks. No wheel hop at all..
Posts: 1561 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have stock lca/uca with no quad shocks and mine doesn't wheel hop at all.

--------------------
-American Revolution-

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This might be of more help

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/201106-can-i-get-instructions-how-flip-quad-shocks-need-new-tires-i-think.html

93ChpLuu
¯
Member # 10787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ChpLuu  Ford pictures for 93ChpLuu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i believe you just need a 18mm or a 3/4 socket for them two bolts... one of them its in the front and the other its in the back because its welded in the front of the bolt...i did this to mines not that long quick and easy...
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Thanks guys i only did one but shit that was hekka easy.
At first the nut was stubburn and didnt wanna budge until i brought out the hammer to give the wrench some motivation, when it moved it was butter and it basicly came undun without compresing it and same with the install there was no hassle at all.
I mocked up the 315s but i need to get a spacer and longer bolts to install them, i think i might just whack the inside wall a bit with a mallet hammer aswell.
So ill be at goodies speed shop tommarow for the threaded bolts

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com