Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » milling lower inintake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: milling lower inintake
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lightning gt 40 lower, putting a 351 in a fox and fighting hood clearance or will be, and i was looking at the lower intake like i could mill like a 1/2 off the top, all holes seem strait up, and there enough room on the boltholes to go deeper. but a half a inch is big trying to stuff one in a stock hood. has anyone done this with what problems or success? thanks
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It will Work for clearance but has a negative affect of a spacer could be minimal tho

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will be trying to do the same thing here in the next couple of months, just picked up a low mileage lighting longblock and want to keep the stock hood.

After doing some reading your problem will be valve cover clearance.

[ December 27, 2011, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: 91redmustang ]

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought someone made drop down motor mounts for 351s to help with this problem.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I thought someone made drop down motor mounts for 351s to help with this problem.

yes there called vert mounts lee
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the vert mounts are not enough, and the company that made these specific mounts are out of business.im going to check vavle cover clearance, thanks guys
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my 351 oil pan you can see that it rubbed the previous owners k-member and he was using vert mounts on his 88 notch. So I can only imagine how bad it would be with those drop mounts.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

they might have been whooped vert mounts, that where sagging. even tho there stronger than the others, an a bit lower, they still flex, twist, and sag. ive tried them on a previous motor, but new, and there not that close, a inch above the rack is what i remember.i wana get a half a inch or closer with solid so it stays still and dont sag lower than rub the k member. i checked vavle cover clearance and i have easily a inch of room before anything gets close. but rechecked my bolt holes and found that a 1/2 inch is cutting it close . so im only going to mill a 1/4 inch off the top. ill let u guys know how it goes.
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

what intake you using, tubular GT40?

[ December 31, 2011, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: 91redmustang ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com