Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » wheel rubbing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: wheel rubbing
TAY
¯
Member # 9775

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TAY  Ford pictures for TAY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
17x9 cobras rubbing in the front of the wheel well and in the rear rubbing on the secondary shocks so I took em out but ride quality sucks every little bump on the road feels like I ran over a deer .. is this the price of being sexy??

--------------------
IF THA PRICE IS RITE

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just flip the quad shocks around the opposite way and they shouldnt rub in the rear.And if you had em mounted somewhere check the air pressure.Theyre probably aired up too high.And about the rubbing on the front,im guessing your car is earlier than 1990?

[ December 19, 2011, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the same issue on my 85 running 17/9 03 cobras, flipped the shocks in the rear, pounded in the rear fender well by the verticle shock and then did 1/4 inch wheel spacers on the front.

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Posts: 287 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Farrell:
Had the same issue on my 85 running 17/9 03 cobras, flipped the shocks in the rear, pounded in the rear fender well by the verticle shock and then did 1/4 inch wheel spacers on the front.

Yea , this should cure your problem . If you have lowering springs that could also add to the issue , especially to the front. On my coupe even with 1/4 inch wheel spacers in front during a full radius turn mine would still rub a little . My car: 1987 Coupe / 17x9 4 lug cobra's with 255/40/17 Nitto 555 tires in front and 275/40/17 Nitto 555R's in the rear. Ive found that on lowered foxbodies a 245/45/17 tire fits best in front and complete removal of the quadshocks isnt good. Unless you have Upper/Lower control arms / panhard bar and torque arm. Flipping the quadshocks and pounding the inner fender well should be a quik fix for you .
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont quote me but i think if you run 90-93 conrtrol arms on the front,the wheels wont hit in the front anymore.
Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im runnin 17x9 275/40/17 inrear they used to rub on inside until i got spacers, then the outside rubbed and then shaved the 1/4 panels and now just rubs on fast turns goin into gas stations.
Oya and the ruff ride- ppl thnk on all low profile tires u need to fillem to 45psi, put tire pressure to 35psi "i personnally run my rears 32psi
Dam farrel out of nowhere, its been awhile.

[ December 19, 2011, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
85staNg302
¯
Member # 9450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85staNg302  Ford pictures for 85staNg302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running 255 45 17 in the front with a 17by 9 no spacers they only rub If I try and turn Sharp..rear I run 275 40 17 on 17by10 removed the quad shocks and rolled the fenders and a half inch spacer no rubbing at all and rides flush to the fenders front and back ...its on a 85 fox
Posts: 1561 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
fam_lace
¯
Member # 8565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fam_lace  Ford pictures for fam_lace    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have sc wheels 275/40/17 rear and 255/40/17 front the front is cm away from touching the strut and i have no quad shock in the rear but i never did and want to get some but it only rubs up front on sharp turns

[ December 19, 2011, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: fam_lace ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com