Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need help car died out and now i have no spark

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help car died out and now i have no spark
88chp
¯
Member # 10712

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88chp  Ford pictures for 88chp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i was driving my car to my friends house next thing you know it dies out no bogging no nothing just straight up shuts off lights still on and everything, checked the fuses their all good, car cranks but theres no spark at the coil,so i switched the coils and theirs still no spark. At this point i have no idea what it could be, any help on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated....

[ December 12, 2011, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: 88chp ]

--------------------
SMC(Line Em Up)

Posts: 400 | From: Stockton Ca | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there 12v at the coil when you turn the key to run position ? if so the Ignition Control Module on the distributor might of took a shit

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:
Is there 12v at the coil when you turn the key to run position ? if so the Ignition Control Module on the distributor might of took a shit

+1 What the member above said..The ignition control module on the distributor for sure... [patriot]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Venomousnotch:
quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:

+1 What the member above said..The ignition control module on the distributor for sure... [patriot]
+2 you can also use a test light on the module and crank the car and if the light pulses the modules good but if no pulse then its all bad. to joe and jose, havent seen you guys since we bs'd at the shop in stockton whats up?

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, a lot of people like to hook up electric fans into the hot wire to the coil. This can lead to failure of the circuit and the same thing you described. I would check that as well if you hooked a fan up as described.

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the hall effect sensor in the distributor go out twice. I ended up having the machine shop press off the gear. Then replaced the sensor. My TFI module has not gone out yet. they could test the tfi module for you at Autozone. Of course the tfi module is much easier to replace. Its got to be one or the other since its not the coil
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depending on what side of stockton your on I have a back up stock dist on my shelf we can drop in to test if yours is bad @lxjames noting much how is the interior coming along

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hall effect in the dist usually goes bad if that is your symptom, like everyone else said

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ignition module ftw. u need to buy a special tool to remove it $5 at kragen.
Also my car just died on me too and did a week of diagnosing it turned out my timing jumped

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:
Ignition module ftw. u need to buy a special tool to remove it $5 at kragen.
Also my car just died on me too and did a week of diagnosing it turned out my timing jumped

X2 same thing happened to me lst month swapped it n walla lol frank I found that dam lil tool it was in my back seat lol..

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull dist. make sure gear is still there. Or just pull the cap and see if the rotor turns as the motor is cranked.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
86SALLY
¯
Member # 10736

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 86SALLY  Ford pictures for 86SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks you guys i changed the module started up as soon as i opened the switch

--------------------
S.M.C Line Em Up

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com