Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how to get shopping cart steering?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how to get shopping cart steering?
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im setting my car up for drift, hopefully it'll be ready by next spring but my question is how can i modify my front control arms, steering rack & spindles so i can get a shit load of turn in?

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there should be sum bushing stops in the rack u can pull. and it would help to shorten the spindle steering arm. and go with a 96 or 99 spindal it moves the wheels out so the wheels wont hit the control arm or the rack so soon. and notch the control arm as well. most of that we can do here except weld the spindal lol. i heard we could but if u wana test it be my guest lol. theres a process that has to happen and seriously i never done it.im setting one up to . so nxet season i might c u. and the ride has to be really stiff, where gona make a dual piston caliper braket for a hand brake as well.
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1) how do i get to the stops on the steering rack, under the boots?
2) is it safe to notch the fca's?

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Sicarius428
¯
Member # 7236

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicarius428  Ford pictures for Sicarius428    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would box the control arms if you are going to notch them. You can also go with a tubular A arm which should gain you some clearance.
Kevin

Sicarius428
¯
Member # 7236

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicarius428  Ford pictures for Sicarius428    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In stead of notching them. See if you can fold the metal lip up too. This way you aren't taking any material away to create a stressed area... and box them.
Kevin

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if there notched, boxing is mandatory, on the control arms. and under the boots is where the stops are.
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Cool, i think i'll get some stock fca's hacked up before goin to tubular ones, i'd hate to hack up some MM fca's [Mad]

I also will be runnin 17x8 up front with a spacer (1/4"-3/8")

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

even the tube ones would have to be notched or redone, so for sure
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

sorry i take the tube ones back, depended on what one u get may need to be redone
norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalstangman  Ford pictures for norcalstangman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up bro. Glad your in the drifting scene. I get all my mod infor for my Stang here for drifting 5.0s only http://www.driftlive.com/forums/index.php
Posts: 444 | From: san mateo, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
Originally posted by norcalstangman:
What's up bro. Glad your in the drifting scene. I get all my mod infor for my Stang here for drifting 5.0s only http://www.driftlive.com/forums/index.php

thanks for the info that'll come in handy. and thanks i look forward to tryin something new and start tearin it up out there.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalstangman  Ford pictures for norcalstangman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We should be ready pretty much at the same time by next season. I'm setting up mine for drift aswell. I'm getting a custom drift cage done by iron50. Pm me when you plan to go shred asphault.
norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

If you get the 96-98 spindles you can cut the tierod arm 1" to shorten it and gain more steering. You can also max out the caster to negative and set camber between 3-5 degrees negative. Thatll give you more angle plus force the steering to center it self while transitioning side to side.
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

i already have 2 sets of 94-95 spindles (one set is on the car now) so im gonna get the other ones modified more than likely. i just have to find someone with experience in modifying them and im looking for the front control arms that are made to allow more steering.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

The 94-95 won't work as good as the 96-98 spindles due to the fact the tierod arm is curved. 96-98 spindles are straight at the tierod arm which make it an easier cut. As far as the control arm a dude used a 94-95 tube control arm and cut and curved the one side of the arm (facing the back of the car side) to allow more steering angle. But our steering rack don't allow too much travel.
http://www.driftlive.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5907#post5907

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com