Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Changing my driveshaft

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing my driveshaft
Blk93Pony
¯
Member # 10798

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blk93Pony  Ford pictures for Blk93Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to install an aluminum driveshaft on my 93 gt. never done this before anyone have any tips or instructions on this?

--------------------
Black 93 Mustang GT - currently down
Pearl Black 06 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 - stock for now

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
makes it a lot easier when u lift the car highier and have a impact gunn

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure u have a 12mm 12point. If you can't break the bolts free use some liquid wrench or heat them up with a butane torch and make sure you loctite the bolts back in
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blk93Pony:
I'm going to install an aluminum driveshaft on my 93 gt. never done this before anyone have any tips or instructions on this?

I just did this same exact install on my coupe a few days ago. Put the car in neutral and use the ebrake to hold the driveshaft in place while removing the driveshaft bolts(rotate as necessary to remove all 4). I jacked my car up really high in the air and put in on jack stands on all four corners. Also try to keep the rear of the car higher than the front so that you dont lose any trans fluid. You may want an oil pan there under the transmission tail just incase. I was able to use a 12mm 12 point socket with a breaker bar, short extension, and swivel socket to break my driveline bolts loose and they were torqued to 95 ft/lbs and had red loc tite on them. An impact gun would help out here too if you have access. No need to remove the exhaust the driveshaft should have no problem coming out and going in with it in. A torque wrench would be a good idea to torque it back down to 95 ft/lbs and make sure to use red loc tite, so that they don't come out on there own. I made the mistake of not using loc tite one time and the next time I was under my car working on somthing I grabbed the driveshaft to scoot myself and noticed all four driveshaft bolts were so loose that I could remove them with my fingers. Other then that just be safe.

So far after installing my aluminum driveline my car is much smoother driving, slightly softer clutch feel(meaning once the clutch engages the driveshaft) and a little faster acceleration(more smooth revving).

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Blk93Pony
¯
Member # 10798

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blk93Pony  Ford pictures for Blk93Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks. Much appreciated guys! [patriot]

--------------------

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, remember that the DS system is a balanced unit. If it vibrates at higher speeds you may need to take it somewhere to get it butter smooth (depending on how anal you are).
Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Anderthizzle
¯
Member # 7910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anderthizzle  Ford pictures for Anderthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wanna get rid of your old one
Posts: 1056 | From: Here and there | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
Blk93Pony
¯
Member # 10798

quote:
Originally posted by anderthizzle:
Wanna get rid of your old one

Sure

--------------------

Anderthizzle
¯
Member # 7910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anderthizzle  Ford pictures for Anderthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much and did you just swap it for an upgrade or was it messed up I'm changin my rear end on saturday and I live in Fairfield to
Blk93Pony
¯
Member # 10798

quote:
How much and did you just swap it for an upgrade or was it messed up I'm changin my rear end on saturday and I live in Fairfield to

Just gimme like 40 bucks and yea I swapped it to upgrade.

--------------------

Anderthizzle
¯
Member # 7910

How bout thirty and can I pick it up friday
Blk93Pony
¯
Member # 10798

quote:
How bout thirty and can I pick it up friday

Ok

--------------------

Anderthizzle
¯
Member # 7910

Cool I will pm you friday

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com