Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » X-PIPE off road vs high flow cats?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: X-PIPE off road vs high flow cats?
LiGhTSpEEd 5.0
¯
Member # 11418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiGhTSpEEd 5.0  Ford pictures for LiGhTSpEEd 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hi i have 87 lx hatch bone stock right now

i was wondering how the x-pipes with highflow cats are vs the off road x-pipes with no cats performance wise is it close enough to compete?

another question. the x pipe with highflow cats does it help take away the smell of the x pipe with no cats?

[ November 13, 2011, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: LiGhTSpEEd 5.0 ]

--------------------
TEAM LIGHT*SPEED RACING
87 LX HATCH

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LiGhTSpEEd 5.0:
hi i have 87 lx hatch bone stock right now

i was wondering how the x-pipes with highflow cats are vs the off road x-pipes with no cats performance wise is it close enough to compete?

another question. the x pipe with highflow cats does it help take away the smell of the x pipe with no cats?

The off road pieces will obviously perform better because they allow your exhaust to flow more freely. If you dont have any exhaust leaks you shouldnt be smelling anything exhaust related in the vehicle.
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might feel a bit of a difference at the top end with the no-cat pipe, but you will get the odor of the unburned hydrocarbons at idle. Even on a brand new car with a cat-delete, the odor is still there. In this ever-tightening emissions state, I would be cautious about deleting the cats on a daily driver.
LiGhTSpEEd 5.0
¯
Member # 11418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LiGhTSpEEd 5.0  Ford pictures for LiGhTSpEEd 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
passed smog 2 weeks ago its my daily driver if i had a extra car i wouldnt care i had a few hondas with straight pipes before but kind of sick of smellin the fumes.

but looks like the offroad xpipe are cheaper then the catted xpipe

--------------------
TEAM LIGHT*SPEED RACING
87 LX HATCH

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
passed smog 2 weeks ago its my daily driver if i had a extra car i wouldnt care i had a few hondas with straight pipes before but kind of sick of smellin the fumes.

I'm pretty sure state ref is more expensive then some cats.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Svt Tony
¯
Member # 9959

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Svt Tony  Ford pictures for Svt Tony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Catfish:
quote:

I'm pretty sure state ref is more expensive then some cats.
+1 gota love our state

--------------------
" u wanna play u gatta pay "

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done extensive testing on this subject, both track and dyno. Once the cats "break in" there is hardly any difference between offroad and cat pipes. in fact the largest difference was stock versus ORH and that was only 10 hp. between similar designs the margin was roughly half that. Think about it like this, the difference is only 3%. Track times play this out as well. With a stock cat pipe my car went 12.50 over and over and over again. I ran .501, .507 and .503 if memory serves me correctly. With the ORH on the same day I ran a string of low 12.40's. I would argue that the weight difference made more of a difference than the power. The BEST time my car has run in similar conditions is 12.401 at 109 and that was with a UPR cat X pipe.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's negligible...

All the testing I have seen between 2.5" Off-road and 2.5" catted shows a very small difference. Mostly at peak of a few HP.

I used to not want to sacrifice that few HP, but have changed my tune.

The more power you have the bigger the difference. If you consider an NA car under 350HP, the power difference between the two will be nill.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can't feel much difference between mid pipes, it's all sound.

fwiw, I have longtubes with no cats and an x-pipe on my truck, and I've never smelled anything.

I'll be putting cats on it soon though, the distributor just didn't have the catted version in stock when I needed them.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I noticed a slight difference between cats and no cats. Both were on an h-pipe. Not to mention the sound difference! Just keep your stock midpipe so you can switch off. I have an mrt catted h pipe.

I had to gut the cats off because my car is lowered, everytime I went over a speed bump at school they would hit hard! Regardless of what angle or speed I went at. So I said Fuck it, it still looks like I have cats so that's the only good thing.

[ November 14, 2011, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: ZincYellowGt281 ]

--------------------
2015 focus st2
2011 Gt 5.0
04 ZY fobra sold

Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chavez66  Ford pictures for Chavez66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't notice much of a difference other then the noise, I had a BBK off road H and swapped it out for a Bassani X pipe with high flow cats and the power feels pretty much the same. I think my bassani with the cats sounds a lot better too. With no cats it just sounds raspy and not good imo, and the ticket is not worth it either

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Posts: 1694 | From: Dont worry about it | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have ran both on my 88 when i had it.. both bassani x pipes one with on with out.. the track times were only a couple thousands better with the off road x.. imo it's not worth the hassles to run off road pipe.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

LiGhTSpEEd 5.0
¯
Member # 11418

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for LiGhTSpEEd 5.0  Ford pictures for LiGhTSpEEd 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for everyones info

--------------------
TEAM LIGHT*SPEED RACING
87 LX HATCH

95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
youll never feel the diffenence in the seat of your pants. youll hear it, itl be a bit louder. i liked the sound of the hi flow catx over the off road. it acts slightly as a resonator. plus if you get pulled over your more likely to get away from a ticket. ( even though removing any factory mid pipe is illegal in ca) unless you get a cop that knows what there looking for.

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com