Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to remove your AC (5.0 Foxbody)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to remove your AC (5.0 Foxbody)
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone have info on how to completely remove the entire AC unit from my 91 GT 5.0? I dont use it or need it and would like to free up space in the engine bay...

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U will need the AC delete kit - basically a blank pulley to going in place of the compressor.

Remove the compressor, easy, be sure you bleed off the AC line pressure first <the right way take it to a shop and recycle the gas, the not so right way crack open the line and let it bleed out>, Need Fuel line release tools to disconnect the line from the condensor and the canister at the firewall.

from there it's just removing teh piping, pump & condensor in from of the radiator.

[ October 24, 2011, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: RAP66 ]

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do i need to plug any holes up?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no need to plug anything. I would get the ford racing a/c delete kit. the best kit out there no extra pulleys it just moves the p/s pump to where the a/c compressor used to be

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

yah thats the delete kit i plan on using...fits perfect! i had it on my coupe, and it was easy to put in...

how about that canister attached to the firewall passenger side? junk it?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quick question about the ac delete.
Y is it ppl buy the ac delete kit?
On my 5.0 near the radiator their is a factory sticker that shows a diagram of putting on the belt for cars equipt with ac and also how to put on a belt for the ones that didnt come with ac.
Basicly it shows the powersteering then goes under the ac and straight to the tensioner.
Obviously u would have to get a shorter belt but instead of buying the kit now u got a new belt and less belt travel.isnt that a win win.
Ill take a pic when i get off work.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:
Quick question about the ac delete.
Y is it ppl buy the ac delete kit?
On my 5.0 near the radiator their is a factory sticker that shows a diagram of putting on the belt for cars equipt with ac and also how to put on a belt for the ones that didnt come with ac.
Basicly it shows the powersteering then goes under the ac and straight to the tensioner.
Obviously u would have to get a shorter belt but instead of buying the kit now u got a new belt and less belt travel.isnt that a win win.
Ill take a pic when i get off work.

the factory non-a/c cars basically had the ford racing delete kit on them, the power steering pump gets relocated up higher.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got that ford racing delete with all hardware and belt u are going to need a belt cuz I'll be shorter $25 for everything u pick up.
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same sticker on my 88 and the p/s pump is in the same spot just no a/c compressor.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
I have the same sticker on my 88 and the p/s pump is in the same spot just no a/c compressor.

the power steering pump is NOT in the same place on the ac and non ac cars

ford wasnt going to produce 2 differnt stickers, however misleading to some, that sticker was made for both a/c cars and non a/c cars. meaning one way was for your car equpped with ac, the other way was for cars that came factory without ac.

here is a pic, and IMO the ONLY way to do it. all the aftermarket setups are junk and have you moving stuff all around. this can be done in minutes and looks great, and factory!!!

-

[ October 25, 2011, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: HaulinAss Motorsports ]

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangrus95  Ford pictures for stangrus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dnt even put a delete kit just run a shorter belt that's what I did no harm done

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1995 5.0 mustang gt-275/321--kid napped :(
1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangrus95:
Dnt even put a delete kit just run a shorter belt that's what I did no harm done

The a/c compressor, when not engaged, is just freewheeeling. Basically, another idler pulley. It doesn't use any power. Just running a shorter belt and by-passing the a/c compressor doesn't do anything. The whole idea of getting an a/c delete kit is to be able to remove all the a/c stuff (compressor, hoses, condensor, receiver drier and, if you are really feeling up to it, the evaporator core from the heater box). All that translates to weight removal both from the front end and overall resulting in better f/r weight distribution. And, of course, as everybody knows, removing weight is almost the same as adding horsepower.

[ October 26, 2011, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: S351-R ]

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangrus95:

What belt size did u run? Do u know from what car its originally for or have the part number?

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

i have hard lines from the ac compressor and canister going to the front of the radiator, i didnt check yet, but are those easy to remove as well? i want the whole ac garbage out! everything thats ac related that i dont need to drive the car...

also, what about the firewall? do i just plug those?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ October 26, 2011, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Nifty50 ]

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no need to plug them bcz once you have the a/c canister discharged of the gas there wont be anything left. also the Ford Rcing a/c delete moves the power steering pump in place of the a/c condensor.

P.S. dont get that stuff in your eyes and dont breathe it in as that stuff is highly toxic !

[ October 26, 2011, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Nifty50 ]

stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangrus95  Ford pictures for stangrus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Naw man I forgot what size it is just go to the parts store and ask for ur year car with out the ac and try different sizes that fit snug

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1995 5.0 mustang gt-275/321--kid napped :(
1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com