Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Failed Smog

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Failed Smog
skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys,
been a while since i posted on here. its finnaly time to sell my 1987 mustang lx hatchback. but when i went to smog it....it failed the NO portion. by almost 200. not too happy about it. i recently converted it from speed denstity to mass air, so the first thing i plan to do is change it back to speed density. then replace the o2 sensors as it suggested in the manual. anyone else have any suggestions?

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id say just replace the 02 sensors and try a different stock h-pipe. Seems your cats are bad.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nox has to do with the egr system. check the egr valve first. if every thing checks out there might be alot carbon build up on the pistons. sea foam it.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^^+100

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 cats just do two new ones it will pass with flying colors

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A quick test to tell if Ur egr flows correctly is to idle the car and push the bottom of the diaphragm upward (be careful no to damage it).The engine should stumble, but not quite die like a Honda or something would. If not then the egr passages in the manifold are clogged. To test cats, I drill a hole before the first cat on each bank and stick a probe in to see what my exhaust readings are, then I compare the readings before and after the cats, if nox doesn't drop a shit ton after going through the cats, then the reduction part of Ur cats isn't doing its job, and need replaced. If u don't have access to an exhaust analyzer at a school or something, any smog and repair shop can and should know this test already, its the only real way to diagnose nox problems. If Ur in the bay area lemme know cause I work for a smog and repair shop, and we could diagnose it for u. One other simple thing to check is ignition timing. If ur timing is too advanced, it can cause high nox due to detonation. Good luck and lemme know what u find out

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com