Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Low Oil Level sensor wiring.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Low Oil Level sensor wiring.
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1988 Mustang GT.
The "Check Oil" light is on. When I had the car up on the rack I noticed that the oil level sensor wasn't plugged in. Upon further inspection I could even find the damn wiring!

Can someone give me an idea of where that starts out at before it makes it way to the sensor?

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its on the o2 sensor harness

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its on the o2 sensor harness

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks! I appreciate the reply.

--------------------

KevinK
Tech Mod
Member # 9234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevinK  Ford pictures for KevinK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplugged oil level sensor should be no light. It shorts to ground to turn on the light.
Posts: 197 | From: San Mateo, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm assuming the "check oil" light is in connection to the sensor that is in the side of the oil pan.

When I had the car on the rack I noticed that there was no wiring going to that sensor and couldn't find the wiring at all.

Really that doesn't surprise me, cuz I found the purge solenoid, wiring, and vacuum line shoved up behind the radiator instead of hooked up to the plenum.

I've done an oil change and the light is still on, so I assumed that was it. This is just a minor issue that's annoying me.

Major issue is possible blown head gasket/cracked head. I used a Blue Point block tester and the blue fluid turned a dark green color. So there's some combustion gasses getting in the coolant but not enough to turn it yellow.

Going to try compression & leak down tests if I have time Monday. Anyway, thanks again for the replies I really do appreciate it.

--------------------

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanna assume the check oil light is tucked in somewhere touching a peice of medal therefore fully functioning it

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com