Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Do explorer intake swaps not pass smog?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Do explorer intake swaps not pass smog?
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cali5.0Boy925  Ford pictures for Cali5.0Boy925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm getting a new motor put in and I'm getting an explorer intake put in it among other mods and I was told that they dont smog and that there hard to hook up and get right?

--------------------
R.I.P 88 GT 5.0 SALEEN CLONE
~50 BOYZ~

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It will pass smog, but will not pass the visual. Most smog techs wont be able to tell the difference, but some will. My GT40 intake I had before, was a bitch to get to pass visual.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

kbernal1016
¯
Member # 11247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kbernal1016  Ford pictures for kbernal1016    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you get one with the EGR passage and make it look stock!

When you start adding chrome headers and chrome cold air intake kits, smog techs start digging deeper.

It is not smog legal, but that doesnt mean it cant look that way...

--------------------
corral.net, svtperformance.com - kbernal1016
norcalsvtoa.com - meangreen95

Posts: 122 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2011  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love the explorer intakes just because they flow just as good if not better than a tubular gt 40, and there the easiest intake to pass smog, no teck can tell or 75 of most. and the stock 5.0 ho plate fits right on top like it was factory. installed 20 for all cars that was concerned about smog, all 20 never had any problems.
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cali5.0Boy925  Ford pictures for Cali5.0Boy925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok cool thats good news I put my stock plate on it too looks stock but I looked at the explorer intake compared to the stock one and its way different thee hook ups arent the same how do you go about that?

--------------------
~50 BOYZ~

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have to drill and tap a hole for the iat (intake air temp) sensor located on i believe its the cylinder #5 runner, and plug the extra vacuum lines (theres 3-4 of them) just hook your stuff up and plug whatever is left over.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Cali5.0Boy925
¯
Member # 10377

Haha fasho thank you for all the help

--------------------
~50 BOYZ~

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com