Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » wich sn95 5.0 or 4.6 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: wich sn95 5.0 or 4.6
Murder mach
¯
Member # 10590

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murder mach  Ford pictures for Murder mach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay so i have an 01 gt with the 4.6, i love it, so much in fact i was thinking of getting another to replace or foreign car, wich is better in the sn95's the older 5'0s or the 4.6's? wich last longer, lookign at a 95 and a 98 right now
Posts: 860 | From: stockton area | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
fast 98gt
¯
Member # 9307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast 98gt  Ford pictures for fast 98gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
both are about the same in performance but if you get the 4.6 with a the pi setup you will like it a lot better then the sn95 5.0

[ August 30, 2011, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: fast 98gt ]

--------------------
98 gt with mark 8 motor
07 p71 crown vic
02 explorer 4.0 4wd
90 gt hatch auto sold
90 f350 5.8 sold
88 lx vert 2.3 5sp...sold

Posts: 173 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
95 hand down over a 98...and you cant do so much for so little to them just like foxes....and still keep it daily driven...

grab a cheap 95'.. throw an H/C/I and an S-trim on it...and it'd be an awesome daily driver and still smog legal...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the 95. i miss mine [Frown]

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i might be biased but 94-95 is far better than a 96-98 for the money. almost everything is cheaper and interchangeable to the fox. goodluck making real power with those non pi motors without some kind of power adder.

94-95 is just easier and cheaper to work on. both are also about the same as far as reliability.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
95. Last of the 5.0.easy as hell to mod and you only need to buy one cam dawg

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fast 98gt:
both are about the same in performance but if you get the 4.6 with a the pi setup you will like it a lot better then the sn95 5.0

+1 did a pi swap in my 98 n its a beast!!!

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98 ROUSH:
quote:

compared to an H/C/I 5.0..5.0's going to win

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
quote:
quote:

I beat h/c/i 5.0 all the time in my stang with a pi swap n a small cam. The compression goes up when you use a 98 GT shortblock with 04 gt heads so its actually faster then a 04 Gt without a cam. They both got pro n con but definitely a 5.0 is cheaper to built.

--------------------
Built 2v

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 95' and I love the car to death.. To be honest i want a Mod motor car because those things make crazy power and no need for a Dart block.. That'll hurt your pockets...

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I beat h/c/i 5.0 all the time in my stang with a pi swap n a small cam. The compression goes up when you use a 98 GT shortblock with 04 gt heads so its actually faster then a 04 Gt without a cam. They both got pro n con but definitely a 5.0 is cheaper to built.
what kind of heads on the 5.0's do you beat?

Not hard to beat a 260-275rwhp pi swapped 4.6 with a 5.0 that has a decent selection of parts that work well together.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Murder mach
¯
Member # 10590

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murder mach  Ford pictures for Murder mach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info guys, but its just going to be a daily driver for my fiance'

im not sure what 'pi' swap and all of that, i was into old cars and hot rods, this is my first stang and was thinking about getting another,i like how other brand owners hate them but they truely are nice cars.

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not hard to beat a 260-275rwhp pi swapped 4.6 with a 5.0 that has a decent selection of parts that work well together.

Gt40,gt40p ect. I have cams with a pi swap and it makes well more than 260-275 HP.

--------------------
Built 2v

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gt40,gt40p ect. I have cams with a pi swap and it makes well more than 260-275 HP.
A TW or AFR one is going to walk you considering they are typically over 300RW...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A TW or AFR one is going to walk you considering they are typically over 300RW...
O hell yeah they should. Alot of people have a better n more HP then me but they can't drive it. Never said 4.6 was better than a 5.0 but I perfer a 4.6

--------------------
Built 2v

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
98 cobra convertible. Chicks in verts get + 2 hot points mustang + 5 hot points and cobra + 10 hot pouts and sleight of hand and over kill!!!
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

yea 96-98 gt's with 99-04 heads (pi swap) with bump up compression to about 10.5:1 or around there, im looking for a sn95 to do this also
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Murder mach
¯
Member # 10590

quote:
Originally posted by 2BlueGeeTees:
98 cobra convertible. Chicks in verts get + 2 hot points mustang + 5 hot points and cobra + 10 hot pouts and sleight of hand and over kill!!!

uhh.so whats any of that have to do with my question?
87MclarenMustang
¯
Member # 10695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87MclarenMustang  Ford pictures for 87MclarenMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For daily driveability I'd go with the 98. I have a 5.0 and have friends with a lot of 5.0s and everyone says the 94-95 motors aren't really that good. From what I've read on the board there's not a lot of issues with the 96-98 modulars. Good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
Formerly 07SilverS197

Posts: 1282 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Feb 2011  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The point was why not look for a 97/98 cobra. Bang for the buck wise you aren't going to do much better. Price difference in good condition GT and Cobra is going to be relatively close. Do your homework.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got A 96 With 184xxx Race Miles Lol Still Taking A Beating And Still Running Strong Haha

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very simple...

1.) 96-98 DOHC
2.) 94-95 Cobra
3.) 94-95GT
4.) 96-98GT

In that order...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you are on a budget get a 94/95 GT bro.. heres why:
-Don't waste money on a 94/95 cobra because to be honest they are no different than whack gt40 heads and intake. (You can change them out for aftermarket pieces with the money you save by purchasing a GT instead and be faster thand a 94/95 Cobra)
- A 96-98 GT is very slow bro and to make them fast takes more than a PI swap when it comes down to N/A.. Unless you have some ported heads/cams than you are just a stock motor 99-04 GT which is still slow (A well put together 5.0 will stomp on a PI Swapped 96-98GT)
- A 96-98 DOHC Cobra is cool but don't forget they too are slow... to build a 4V cost a lot more than any of the other options...

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Murder mach
¯
Member # 10590

I have a o1 gt and I love it,its quick for what it is,i changed my my mind on the sn95s,i just cant get into liking those bodys.

As said before,this next car WILL NOT be modified,it will be a car for my lady,just wanted to know whts more reliable. And no,im not buying a sn95 cobra

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87MclarenMustang:
For daily driveability I'd go with the 98. I have a 5.0 and have friends with a lot of 5.0s and everyone says the 94-95 motors aren't really that good. From what I've read on the board there's not a lot of issues with the 96-98 modulars. Good luck! [patriot]

87-95 motors are the same besides the pistons.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com