Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » polishing metal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: polishing metal
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I got a new bench top buffer to buff out the aluminum parts like the valve cover and blower parts going on the new engine. I used the ryobi yellow compound which is for cleaning and polishing brass and a "green stick compound" that I got at a goodguys show a few years back which gives a little finer finish than the yellow. So now the metal has a nice shine but has fine scratches you can see when you hold the parts at an angle. What's the next compound I should use? I was thinking white rouge. What do you all use?
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jewlers rouge, think its red, i polished an axe once with it worked great.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

ALMOST STOCK
¯
Member # 10085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALMOST STOCK  Ford pictures for ALMOST STOCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
White Rouge is next.
Posts: 94 | From: Cameron Park, Calif | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use The brown to cut the material down and white to finish. Works every time.
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a nice polishing setup years ago and did a lot of polishing and a lot of 'learning.' I found for the time it takes and the mess it creates, I feel that it is well worth what I pay a polishing shop to save myself the frustration and get better results as well. I'll tackle small parts but the large pieces I happily pay someone else. IMHO.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info. I'll try the white out. The also had one for polishing plastic so I may get that one too along with some additional buffing wheels.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com