Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wiring Cut Off Switch? Which Wire/Wires?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wiring Cut Off Switch? Which Wire/Wires?
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm trying to wire in my cutoff switch properly. I Have a 88 lx with the stock alternator. Which Wire or wires from the alternator do I need to run to the battery on the other side of the cutoff? So when the cutoff is flipped the engine will shut off and not continue to run by the alternator.

Thanks

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never heard if running a cutoff to the alternator. The engine would still run off of the battery. you want to add the cutoff switch to the coil if you want a kill switch. I believe it's the blue wire going to the coil that will work.
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea, I'm wiring in a cut off switch and while doing this you need to wire the alternator power output to the battery.

The question I asked was which wire or wires from the alternator do I need to run to the battery.

Someone that has done this would know.

1bad93
¯
Member # 11094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bad93  Ford pictures for 1bad93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/74102_instweb.pdf

this should do it it is how i wired mine

--------------------
93 NOTCH WINDSOR N/A 9.90/1.4 60'137 mph at 6500 feet. have not made a full pass here,yet.....
95 SVT COBRA

Posts: 20 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all three positive wires that come off the alternator all go together and land on the positive side of the starter solenoid remove and run to the battery pole of the switch. i think two wires are black w orange strip and the other is white? anyway they all splice together into one connector.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

quote:
Originally posted by 93sspCOUPE:
all three positive wires that come off the alternator all go together and land on the positive side of the starter solenoid remove and run to the battery pole of the switch. i think two wires are black w orange strip and the other is white? anyway they all splice together into one connector.

Thank You. I knew someone would know.
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Do you know what color the wire is on the solenoid? Is it the yellow one or the green one? And what gauge wire should I run back to the battery?

[ August 23, 2011, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for my setup I have a trunk battery + switch with 3g alternator and a mini starter that has it's own solenoid.

I have a 0 awg run from the switched side of the switch to the solenoid on the starter.

0 awg from battery to switch
4 awg from alternator to switch
4 awg from starter solenoid to fender solenoid to give the rest of the car power.

flipping the switch cuts all power and the engine instantly turns off, nothing needs to be done with the coil.

battery is grounded with 0 awg to one of the frame points where the quad shocks used to mount. Have never had any starting or charging problems with the setup.

my switch is hidden behind the license plate, I used 5" long bolts with 4" spacers behind the plate to space it out evenly, the license plate lights still work perfect at night even with the plate spaced out far enough to not be able to see the switch behind it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sure exactly what color it turns into but i would pull the wire loom shit back and just trace it back to where it all splices together to be sure. if your running a stock fox alt a 6guage wire will work it will support the amps. you could go bigger if you want.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com