Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 driving issues??? input needed guys

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.0 driving issues??? input needed guys
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for 03blksnake  Ford pictures for 03blksnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 94 gt 5.0 the car starts and runs but after running a short period of time and then i start to drive it the car starts to back fire and loose power. i know i have some low compression but i cant seem to pin point why the car isnt driveable. i have a kill switch leading to my fuel pump so this is one thing that i have learned...

if im driving and it starts to back fire and lose power and then i turn off my fuel pump and then turn it back on the car drives fine again for a mile or so and then i have to repeat the step. [Frown] i need some help guys whats your thoughs. thanks in advance [patriot]

[ September 12, 2011, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: 94gtcoupe ]

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try to bypass the kill switch. What if you just turn off the car and then restart it.. how does it run? Or does in only run fine for that minute after flipping the switch on the fuel pump?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03blksnake  Ford pictures for 03blksnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same thing either way. if i turn off the car or if i just use the kill switch.

so heres a lil run down on some of the latest work performed:

replaced the head gasket on the drivers side due to the gasket failing on me. the car was running fine before hand and ever since this change the car hasnt been running right. and ive even made sure my Rockers are all torqued right and timing seems to be all good as well. [Frown]

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You said you have low compression but you've replaced the head gasket.. whats with that?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03blksnake  Ford pictures for 03blksnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well the motor has always had a lil lower compression but not in the dangerous way. the motor is out of a 93 gt and its just bolt ons with gt40 intake. and ive had the motor 2 years with low compression and im goin with boost soon so it works.

any other ideals?

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Any other modifications to the car? What color are your spark plugs? Where did you set your timing?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

timing is at 10 now car starts and idles great
spark plugs are oem copper plugs motorcraft

list of mods are

gt40 intake
70mm tb
shortie mac headers, off road x
bbk cold air
msd cap rotor
smog pump delete
new fuel pump 190 oem
373 gears
its a 5speed

95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it fluctuate idles for a bit before it dies? you can put your timing at12-14* and possibly gain a bit also with those mods.

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

I don't think he should bump his timing to gain more.. he needs to figure out why his car is losing power and dying out.

Have you pulled out your spark plugs to see what color they are?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i left the afterwards part out. aftrwards bumop the timing. [patriot]

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by 95gtdrop:
i left the afterwards part out. aftrwards bumop the timing. [patriot]

Thats more like it [patriot]
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

car never dies at a idle it will just loose power as im driving and backfire then it will be to the point where if i hit the gas all it does is backfire and not move due tp lack of power. but as soon as i turn the car off and back on it will be ok for a lil bit
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

No check engine light?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

no light sir [Frown]
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the plugs! GAWD DAM it could be because your running lean did use use the old O2 sensors did you forget to pulg them back in?

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i v had similar issues with different 5.0s. off timing,dirty mass air meter,vacuum leaks,fuel pressure wrong...just some of the things i d look for.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
bigstangs
¯
Member # 7920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstangs  Ford pictures for bigstangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you put the spout back in after timing happen to me and took me a couple hours to find the problem felt like a dumb ass after that
1bad93
¯
Member # 11094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bad93  Ford pictures for 1bad93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
check the plugs! GAWD DAM it could be because your running lean did use use the old O2 sensors did you forget to pulg them back in?

or an injector that is open when its not supposed to be..........

--------------------
93 NOTCH WINDSOR N/A 9.90/1.4 60'137 mph at 6500 feet. have not made a full pass here,yet.....
95 SVT COBRA

Posts: 20 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

how could i test the injectors?
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

how could i test the injectors?
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for 03blksnake  Ford pictures for 03blksnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt i still have the issue with driving once the car warms up it drives like crap. doesnt over heat but will loose power and backfire. mods are listed above was thinking maybe the o2s are bad but i need some advice here thanks guys [Confused]
03blksnake
¯
Member # 10974

ttt can anyone give some info to save a mustang in need
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you use the same thickness head gasket?

Since the problem started after changing the gasket, I would double check the adjustment on the pushrods. Maybe, if the gasket is a bit thinner than the one you replaced, you're hanging an exhaust valve open.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com