Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 88 gt Motor Swap Issues. Need Advice asap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 88 gt Motor Swap Issues. Need Advice asap
Thgzfrlife
Member # 11118

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thgzfrlife  Ford pictures for Thgzfrlife    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought an 88 gt a few weeks ago and found it had a blown headgasket. I decided to pull the motor and buy another one. Vound one on craigslist advertised as a 90 mustang 302 with gt40 heads and had been cammed. Turns out, it is actually an F-150 5.0 engine. I already have it in the car but I have no idea how to wire this engine, vacuums etc. I have been told before that I can use the original 88 gt engine harness, but it doesnt fit. I also have no clue how to run the mass air adaptor through the firewall.

All in all I think ( though I am probably mistaken) I have 2 options.

Option A: Hope someone has a wiring diagram or has a way to explain how this wiring extravaganza would work.

Option B: I dont even know if this is possible, however I was thinking about saying goodbye to all of the wiring and putting on a carb.

Possible Option C: Take off the heads, the supposed cam and put them on the old block and spend even more money on gaskets etc.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. After 2 weeks of working on this thing and 4000 dollars of saved up money I dont want to trash this thing and call it quits.

Posts: 5 | From: San Jose California | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707
¯
Member # 6243

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707  Ford pictures for AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have a non ho motor and your firing order is set up for ho (351w) firing order

--------------------
1993 red cobra
1973 celica chevy 406/t5/narrow 9
1969 camaro
1992 lx hatch

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1. How do you know it's an F150 engine? Are you saying that based on the casting number on the block? If so, most 5.0 roller blocks are E7TE castings which come back as truck engines.

2. If it is out of an F150, did you swap the intakes out and use your old one? You can't use a truck intake in a Fox, they're completely different.

3. How is the harness not fitting? A 5.0 is a 5.0, they're not different dimensionally between a Mustang, T-Bird, or F150. Maybe you just have the routing of the wires wrong.

4. Mass air adapter through the firewall? The mass air meter on a fox is by the passenger fender, not the firewall.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a chiltons or haynes mustang manual and it will show the plugs and where they go.also it may help to look at someones fox 5.0 to see how things go back together,really not to difficult if u take your time.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Thgzfrlife
Member # 11118

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thgzfrlife  Ford pictures for Thgzfrlife    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do I have to use both the lower intake manifold and the upper from the fox or just the upper? And I'll pick up a chiltons from the parts store
Posts: 5 | From: San Jose California | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it is indeed an F150 motor your are going to run into a few issues as these were non-H.O. motors and have different firing order.
You can cheat by switching injector wires but this inreturn make it difficult for the motor to enrichen or lean the fuel because of the injectors "actual" placement, not where the computer "thinks" its at. It will incorrectly enrichen or lean the wrong bank but the O2 sensor will see it on the other side and compensate causing confusion on the computer.
Need to find out EXACTLY what the motor is first.
All parts will transfer over including upper, lower inatke and all sensors. It shouldn't have been difficult to swap the motors if car-car.
Post a picture of the motor (assuming it is complete with intake and accesories on it and we can try to identify.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com