Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » LT Headers that will clear Canton pan?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: LT Headers that will clear Canton pan?
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just stuck my new 347 w Z heads into my fox w GR K-member. Since the Z heads are wider and taller than the stock 302 stuff, the old long tubes (summit cheapies) that were in there no longer fit. They hit the floor on both sides, and the Canton 8qt pan is 13" wide as compared to the original pan @ 8-9" wide, so they wont clear on the pass side. Did lots of phone research w Canton, BBK, and even ford who suggested BBK 351 swap headers. Same bs- wont clear the pan. Does anyone have long tubes on a motor w this pan?
My 3 choices seem to be;
1. Shorties and new exhaust
2. Stock pan
3. Custom made headers.

I dont really like option 1 or 2, but 3 is going to be very expensive and time consuming. Someone has to have gone through this- please help.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Which oil pan?
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its the Canton 15-640 6qt Rear sump pan.
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im runnin the bbk 351 swap headers clears no problem just had 2 put a washer on the driver side 2 clear my mm steering shaft

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same oil pan, I hate it, my BBK Longtubes clear no problem. I just hate the T Style rear sump, its too close to the clutch cable and melts it real easy.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you swap out the pan for a different aftermarket pan and not a stock one?
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

quote:
Originally posted by 79 cobra:
im runnin the bbk 351 swap headers clears no problem just had 2 put a washer on the driver side 2 clear my mm steering shaft

What pan do you have?
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I have the same oil pan, I hate it, my BBK Longtubes clear no problem. I just hate the T Style rear sump, its too close to the clutch cable and melts it real easy.

Which heads you have and which model headers?
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BBK headers should fit.

My setup is similar but I have AFR heads, T-5 transmission and using the 1" motor setback position on the K member. It will be tight near the larger stock starter but with some finagling it will still fit. It is easier to install if you can undo the motor mounts and lift the motor up as far as you can.

While you're there, check the clearance between the bottom of the pan and the steering rack. It looks like the newer Canton pans have a curved section between the front and rear sumps. Mine is older, is flat between the sumps and with some age on the motor mounts, the pan started hitting the rack. I raised the motor by placing two grade 8 washers between the block and the mount at all 4 points.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Good point about the clutch cable. I wrapped mine in Firebraid (or use some heat insulator).
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
BBK headers should fit.

My setup is similar but I have AFR heads, T-5 transmission and using the 1" motor setback position on the K member. It will be tight near the larger stock starter but with some finagling it will still fit. It is easier to install if you can undo the motor mounts and lift the motor up as far as you can.

While you're there, check the clearance between the bottom of the pan and the steering rack. It looks like the newer Canton pans have a curved section between the front and rear sumps. Mine is older, is flat between the sumps and with some age on the motor mounts, the pan started hitting the rack. I raised the motor by placing two grade 8 washers between the block and the mount at all 4 points.

Are your heads the same dimension as stock 302 heads? The Z heads are 3/8 taller and wider- so my collectors on my original headers are touching the floor- (i have solid motor mounts w no spacers). My motor is set back also. I have mini-starter- just cant clear that damn pan.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dpracingdan:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:
BBK headers should fit.

Are your heads the same dimension as stock 302 heads? The Z heads are 3/8 taller and wider- so my collectors on my original headers are touching the floor- (i have solid motor mounts w no spacers). My motor is set back also. I have mini-starter- just cant clear that damn pan.
Try a set of vert mounts.

I went to kooks.

Have you looked into accufab?

Sounds like a decent motor, might as well go with a decent header to compliment it.

http://www.accufabracing.com/exhaust.htm

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

thanks for the recomendation- yeah its a 12:1 motor and should be pretty nice- dont wanna cheap out on it now.

I'll contact accufab

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

quote:
Are your heads the same dimension as stock 302 heads?
Not sure. I believe the AFR205's are slightly raised, maybe 3/8" but not certain.

I have convertible motor mounts.

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dpracingdan:
quote:
Originally posted by 79 cobra:

What pan do you have?
i got the road race rear sump canton oil pan the one with the t in the back

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com