Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » looking to rewire my 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: looking to rewire my 5.0
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okae I don't know how to really explain this but ill try my best. Okae I have 89 gt vert and looking to get my whole car re-wired. What all would I need? Is this something I can do on my own or is it better to take to a shop? If a shop how much would something like this normally cost?

Thanks guys

Dre

--------------------
89 vert gt

Posts: 208 | From: san francisco to antioch | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
510Notch
¯
Member # 9353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510Notch  Ford pictures for 510Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by primeredbeast89dropgt:
Okae I don't know how to really explain this but ill try my best. Okae I have 89 gt vert and looking to get my whole car re-wired. What all would I need? Is this something I can do on my own or is it better to take to a shop? If a shop how much would something like this normally cost?

Thanks guys

Dre

why are you rewiring your car?
primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for primeredbeast89dropgt  Ford pictures for primeredbeast89dropgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well everything works right now I believe but I had a check engine light problem and I tried to get it check from several different places and they told me that my computer was tripn.. so I was thinking of replacing everything so I wouldn't have come across this again

--------------------
89 vert gt

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally wouldn't jump straight to rewiring the whole car. There are so many variables that the fix could be very simple. For example, at my shop I've seen over and over a car with weak motor mounts causing a check engine light to come on. What was happening was when the motor was jumping around it was tugging on wires, causing an intermittent open circuit at the connector for a component. Plus odds are the shop checked for powers and grounds at ur pcm which leads them to believe your computer is trippin. U may not be getting a 5 volt ref that goes to a sensor for instance. Causing a lower voltage coming back to the signal channel for the pcm. A pcm takes about 15 minutes to change at most. I would start with a known good pcm and go from there like the shop suggested.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Okae any ideas on any good upgrade pcm for my 89 gt fox

--------------------
89 vert gt

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Usually u just swap out the prom but if u want custom look into TwEECer

--------------------

primeredbeast89dropgt
¯
Member # 10102

Appreciate that bro..

--------------------
89 vert gt

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Well everything works right now I believe but I had a check engine light problem and I tried to get it check from several different places and they told me that my computer was tripn.. so I was thinking of replacing everything so I wouldn't have come across this again

typically scanners are not used for checking for MIL codes on an eec-iv foxbody, you just jump the diagnostic terminals and count the flashes of the check engine light and look up the codes.

http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=923

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

typically scanners are not used for checking for MIL codes on an eec-iv foxbody, you just jump the diagnostic terminals and count the flashes of the check engine light and look up the codes.

http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=923

ive dont it that way, but at the shop i work at we have a ford scan tool called the NGS that can pull eec-iv codes, similar to a master tech for early GMs

--------------------

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha man i just learned all about this stuff last week and tonight at.. you guys gonna hate this but i learned it at wyotech lol. 5 volt reference was tonight and last week my teacher was talking about how he changed the pcm but forgot the prom for the new one and all this other bs but i guess im learning some stuff from this school

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Lol nothin wrong with Wyotech other than the price haha. I learned my shit at chabot haha

--------------------

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bentley mobs a stang:
Lol nothin wrong with Wyotech other than the price haha.

+1 Cost is too high for the return IMO...

I learned a lot just reading books and articles then getting out there and doing the work. But then again I'm not trying to do it for a living......

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JBeezy53:
quote:
Originally posted by bentley mobs a stang:
Lol nothin wrong with Wyotech other than the price haha.

+1 Cost is too high for the return IMO...

I learned a lot just reading books and articles then getting out there and doing the work. But then again I'm not trying to do it for a living......

price is way to high. i signed up 1 month after i turned 18 which was last dec. im already halfway through the program and just did my second loan. price is high but the people i know now and MOST of the info ive learned is starting to prove itself valuable

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad it's paying off for you. Hopefully you'll end up on tv like some of the other Wyotech grads working in some really nice shops. I just work for a federal program that pays for training for displaced workers and I see many of them go to Wyotech and have no job afterwards.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Stick with it at Wyotech. Apply yourself to the fullest. I know a lot of ppl who went to Wyotech and got very little out of it and other ppl from there who became great techs. All what u make of it. I feel bad for the guys tryna pay that huge loan off delivering parts for worldpac.

--------------------

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can shut off the C.E.L. with a QuarterHorse. Also you can pull codes easily too. But there are cheaper \ easier ways to do it.

If you're serious about doing a complete rewire then go with an ISIS multiplex system. A little on the expensive side but shit is it worth it.

[ July 26, 2011, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Blubyu87gt ]

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com