Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with timing 89 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with timing 89 5.0
krazy_svt
¯
Member # 9259

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazy_svt  Ford pictures for krazy_svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car started running like carp
the other day. I'm thinking that it
Maybe the timing. I got a cheap
Timing light. I hooked it up,
Still runs the same or worst. So
Any help would be helpfull. What
Wire do I need to disconnect?
Before I start. Thank you.

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The timing isn't going to magicaly come undone, it's something else.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only way timing would change without you changing it is if your distributor bolt was loose and your distributor could move on it's own. If you drive an 87-93 you'll see a little "pill" hanging right by the distributor. When you set your base timing you remove that pill and set your timing. I've used $6 timing lights and they work fine, so the timing light shouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
95gtdroptop
¯
Member # 8330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdroptop  Ford pictures for 95gtdroptop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^ what he said.

check for a vacuum leak, when was it tuned up last?

--------------------
95 gt drop top- sold
97 cobra coupe

Posts: 19 | From: sacramento(citrus heights) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
Anderthizzle
¯
Member # 7910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anderthizzle  Ford pictures for Anderthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well theres your problem its running like a carp.Just kidding mine did that to and the hose to my pvc popped off.
Posts: 1056 | From: Here and there | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
everyone is right, undo the piece by the distributor and check the base timing if u really think ur distributor jumped on you. and if thats the case mark it and pull out the distributor and look at the condition of your gear that spins with the oil pump. also, if the engine is misfiring look at the ends of wires for corrosion as well as the cap and rotor, and of course the condition of the plugs. if your getting a high idle look for vacuum leaks use the old carb cleaner trick to find any leaks.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

krazy_svt
¯
Member # 9259

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazy_svt  Ford pictures for krazy_svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the help. Still running like crap. How much would someone charge to do this?
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jus a guess but check your harmonic balancer the rubber in the middle on mine was shot so it was moving had my timing all messed up cause it would keep moving.....it was the stock h/b from factory

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Sikwidit-blumaxx88
¯
Member # 11046

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sikwidit-blumaxx88  Ford pictures for Sikwidit-blumaxx88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for a mis fire, spark plug wires on all the way, change spark plugs if they haven't been changed in awhile.

--------------------
SikwidiT cc
1988 5.0

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It definitely sounds like the smart place to start is a FULL tune up and go from there bud
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2BlueGeeTees:
It definitely sounds like the smart place to start is a FULL tune up and go from there bud

agreed best place to start with a hard miss is usually a tune up and while your at it throw a comp gauge on a couple cyls to check. also make note of the color of the porcelin on the spark plug may give you an indication of where the miss is coming from. you never said what your base timing was set at?
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also i noticed i just assumed that it was a hard miss how exactly is it running like crap? when does it run the worst idle mid range full throttle ? Does it run the same hot or cold? the more details the better
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually timing can change
A stretched/loose timing chain can cause timing to change several degrees and worse if a tooth is jumped between cam gear and crank.
Take motor to TDC and confirm mark on crank and location of pickup on inside of distributor are lined up to #1.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com