Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » squeal/screech noise?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: squeal/screech noise?
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quicksilver91  Ford pictures for quicksilver91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need help been driving me crazy. 1991 gt 5.0, I've had the car for 6yrs when I bought the car the guy who sold it to me said it had a rebuilt motor with 7,000miles on it. I've done casual driving and freeway driving. the problem is that I have a squeal/screech coming from the front of the motor. I know it's not any of the pulleys or the belt because I took the belt off the car and cranked it and the screech/squeal was still there. I took it by to see my friend at a small shop, and he wasn't sure either. he said that I'd start small working your way by process of elimination. he thinks it my be my timing chain rubbing on the housing or something maby with the cam rubbing on something... hard to really say without hearing the noise but, where do I start by trying to figure out the noise. I almost couldnt believe it when he said the noise was coming from the motor, the car sits more then it's driven and I work on it more then i drive it. Any input would help is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quicksilver91  Ford pictures for quicksilver91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The noise doesnt happen all the time between 1,500 and 2,500 rpms, and at idle sometimes. and after it warms up is when the noise statrts. the car drives fine has all it's power but the noise doesn't sound good.

[ July 19, 2011, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: quicksilver91 ]

trickflow211
¯
Member # 8503

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for trickflow211  Ford pictures for trickflow211    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car was making same squeal noise but only when ac was on , so I was guessing it was the ac pulley or bearing ??but I noticedloss off power when ac was on ...also if I left ac on when I turned car back on , I couldn't even turn the wheel like I had no power steering ... Wierd Ass shit ... Idk if it'll help u but was just tryna give my similar experience lol

--------------------
1990 Cobra Clone 421 Tq 420 Hp

Need General Contractor Services? 925-338-5422 serving East Bay Area over 20yrs

Posts: 2449 | From: Pittsburg/Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

that is weird, it's all good thanks for posting. Anybody else have any ideas?
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
power steering pump may hav spun bearing

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its none of the accessories if the belt was off and still making noise. Take the timing cover off and look for any abnormal wear.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
Its none of the accessories if the belt was off and still making noise. Take the timing cover off and look for any abnormal wear.

thats what i get for not reading!!

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
NORCALSTANGS
¯
Member # 3706

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCALSTANGS  Ford pictures for NORCALSTANGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trade you motors.

Yep.

From coupe............not vert.

--------------------
2014 gt stick ghig
2005 gt auto blue

vicstatic
¯
Member # 6702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vicstatic  Ford pictures for vicstatic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the squealing noise. It turned out that my fan shroud was out of adjustment. Every time I would start the car or accelerate hard, the tips/ends of the fan blades would hit the bottom edge of the fan shroud. It got pretty annoying and finally had to loosen the shroud and push down on it while I tightened up the bolts.
Problem solved.

--------------------
Looking for Fox

Santos1986gt
¯
Member # 10513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santos1986gt  Ford pictures for Santos1986gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could be your main caps and bearing on the crank

--------------------
86gt minor upgrades(under construction)
2012 Focus SE (racing chip)?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _
Xgotsome4me4

Posts: 271 | From: East Palo alto | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no belts and still make the noise, how sure are you that it is from the motor, could it be from the pilot bearing or throw out bearing?
quicksilver91
¯
Member # 9034

no fan shroud I have an electric fan, and I did the clutch about 500 or less miles ago, so I put a new piolet and throwout bearing. Yes you may be right main bearings is what I was thinking, how would I figure this out for sure stethoscope, or start pulling shit apart?? thanks for the input

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com