Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » CAR SHAKING AFTER 80MPH

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: CAR SHAKING AFTER 80MPH
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SO IVE BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM SINCE I BOUGHT MY 5.0 A YEAR AGO. WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT, THE PROBLEM WAS MINIMAL AND NOW ITS BAD. I THOUGHT IT WAS MY TRANNY AND I TOOK ADVANTAGE AND JUST GOT MY TRANNY REBUILT BECAUSE IT NEEDED IT AS WELL AFTER I PUT IT IN IT SHAKES LESS BUT STILL DOES A LITTLE AND JUST YESTERDAY I WAS UNDER THE CAR AND LOOKED AT THE DRIVESHAFT AND BOLTS HAVE BECOME ALMOST COMPLETELY OFF SO THEY SEEM TO COME LOOSE WITH SO MUCH VIBRATION. MY QUESTION IS WHERES THE VIBRATION COMING FROM? IS IT MY YOKES OR MY DRIVE SHAFT. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP. I DONT WANT TO DAMAGE MY REBUILT TRANNY.

--------------------
TEAM CGS

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drive shaft out of balance maybe.. i spun the weights off mine before shaking gets worse the faster u go.. lift the car spin the driveshaft by hand look for evidence off weights missing..
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
driveshafts are balanced and phased. yor balance maybe off by the weights missing or its out of phase (not straight)

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a aluminum drive shaft dont take my word for it tho..i had same problem research it...the aluminum drive shaft will solve your problems...

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
driveshafts are balanced and phased. yor balance maybe off by the weights missing or its out of phase (not straight)

i just f*kn said that james... [patriot] haha. if you find it is ur driveshaft out of balance its perfect chance to upgrade it [Wink] or i know it costs around 50 to get it rebalanced thats how much a shop here in hayward was about to charge me
5.0 CGS
¯
Member # 9567

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 CGS  Ford pictures for 5.0 CGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO YOU GUS KNO ABOUT HOW MUCH AN ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT COST

--------------------
TEAM CGS

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

around 200..
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88FOX:
around 200..

+1

--------------------
King Lx

ddarkslayer
¯
Member # 10688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ddarkslayer  Ford pictures for ddarkslayer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont always assume its always the driveshaft. the wheel weights on the wheels could slide and needs rebalancing
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

quote:
Originally posted by ddarkslayer:
Dont always assume its always the driveshaft. the wheel weights on the wheels could slide and needs rebalancing

but the bolts on the driveshaft were loose he said so from what hes stating it leads us to thinking its related to the driveshaft tires being out of balance wouldnt do that
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

wheel weights moving causing shaking after 80? never heard of that. he would have went threw tires if they werent balanced from bouncing down the road or something and there would be issues at all times not just after 80

--------------------
King Lx

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you think its the driveshaft Change the tailshaft bushing and replace the u joints. Check your tranny mount too.

Wheel balancing and wheel alignment can cause vibrations too. My Porsche will start vibrating on me when the wheels are out of balance. I've even had tires go out of round causing a vibration. If it's at high speed i would start looking at the front suspension for worn out parts and have the wheels checked out and balanced.

[ July 09, 2011, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Secnd2nun64 ]

1990B0SS
¯
Member # 11069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990B0SS  Ford pictures for 1990B0SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine did the same the when i bought it a couple months ago. all it needed was to be rebalanced
86SALLY
¯
Member # 10736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86SALLY  Ford pictures for 86SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could Be your harmonic balancer

--------------------
S.M.C Line Em Up

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9STANG6:
mine did the same the when i bought it a couple months ago. all it needed was to be rebalanced

i mite hav to do this soon cuz my fox does it at 80mph but its not too bad!so b4 it gets too bad id like to hav that done!

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
WILDMAN97
¯
Member # 9138

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WILDMAN97  Ford pictures for WILDMAN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mark your drive shaft then swap out your u-jounts. if it still vibrates then rotate your drive shaft 180 degrees.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com