Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351W question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351W question
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ran across this motor and im planning on picking it up just wana know what kinda power i can expect and if i should make any changes. Its a 69 351w block and some of the specs are 10.7:1 compression ratio. 494"/494" 312/320degrees Hydralic camshaft ,Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold port matched, stock iron Ported cylinder heads. Would this cam be a little too much for th street if so should what should i throw in to make it more streetable for the weekends .Going in a 68 mustang so smog not a factor.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually looks like a fairly decent street setup. More than likely a flat tappet cam. Will be a bit lazy when compared to a roller 302.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thing will run pretty hard to be honest.

You wont notice any laziness with that cam when on street tires because they will go up in smoke.

Have fun!!

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info guys, yeah the guy im buying it from said he had a blast with it and it used to be an old track motor. he says it ran 13's on street tires so hopefully i can get some nice dr's and get it into the 12's. Dan you always have good input man i appreciate it. [patriot]

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you know the LSA, vacuum it pulls at idle? What accessories are you planning to run? Power brakes, power steering? A/C? That cam seems to have a long duration.
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Plan on running manual brakes, alternator , standard alum water pump and and power steering. No power brakes needed just gota start pumping the pedal like a super soaker to stop.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats just advertised duration its old school look at duration at 50 and it aint shit compared to advertised.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Found it an actually it does have about 240 degrees duration......but that motor will have more compression due to the 69 block especially with most ots pistons.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a flat tappet the duration is still to big for vac brakes. To big for the heads probably sounds ok. I doubt it ran that fast in a truck guys blowing a little smoke at you.

[ June 30, 2011, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think and am wonderin, cam to big big for heads, why is the 69 block have anything to do with compression,manual brakes none of it matters lol
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
i think and am wonderin, cam to big big for heads, why is the 69 block have anything to do with compression,manual brakes none of it matters lol

The 69 block has everything to do with compression.

Ill educate you Jon. The stock 69-70 and motors were nearly 11 to one compression:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine#351W

In order to knock the compression down all they did was raise the deck from 9.48 to 9.503

What that has to do with compression is that nearly every OTS piston for the 351 is based on compression height and deck height for the 9.5 deck block......yadda yadda yadda

Now yas know!

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hmmm didnt know that , good read too .
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

I didnt say truck i said track motor. He used to take it to the strip on the weekends. This was in a 67 mustang i doubt a heavy ass truck would run that fast either with this motor but dude isnt blowing any smoke he gave me straight forward details on his whole setup i just want to know how streetable it will be when i take it out for the weekend.

--------------------

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the motor is still in the car and running I would hook a vacuum guage up with it at idle. If your not getting at least 12 lbs at idle I would change the cam out to something smaller with a LSA 110 to 112. Choppy idles sound cool but not too good for cruising. Speaking from my own experiences.
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol sorry thought you said truck..Cam is to big for the set up...JMO. 13 sec in a 67 mustang with a 351 is not so hot JMO again..If you have manual brakes and a decent converter(or 5 speed) no problem.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Yeah it is an old setup but im getting a killer deal the 69 block itself is worth what im paying.
I have a 5.0 to drive when i just want to cruise but when i take the 68 out i might just want to raise some hell. He only ran 13's because he never had anything better then street tires back in the day at that so with some better drag raidals im sure i can get her down to 12's. I also plan on going to alum heads soon and when i do that il most likely change the cam out to match and get a air gap intake also.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

sounds like you have a great plan..then you will really love it.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Any ideas on carb im looking into a demon 650 double pumper

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com