Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 306? Which heads?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 306? Which heads?
hes2quick
¯
Member # 8916

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hes2quick  Ford pictures for hes2quick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I'm thinking of buying fresh 306 short block complete with forged pistons. What should I look for when checking it out? never really bought a used engine before. He's also selling some brodix heads. Should i go with those or some trickflow,victor jr or AFR's heads? Any info would be great thanks in advance guys... [patriot]

--------------------
91 coupe with a 6 point cage,draglites, and some suspension work,3.73

Posts: 105 | From: Redwood City now Tempe, AZ | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be very careful and wise when you buy a used motor if that's the case/if brand new then its all good, spin the crank shaft and make sure it does not travel past the deck of the block,ask for receipts,history on the motor, scratches on the cylinder walls etc, i know there is a few things i am forgetting so hopefully somebody chimes in also to give some other tips, i have heard of ok things about brodix, best bet would be trickflow and up on top AFR'S, good luck with the purchase and build bro, hopefully everything turns out well and you dont have a bad experience like i did, but you live and you learn so hopefully i kinda helped a bit from preventing this from happening to you, keep us posted bro... [patriot]

[ June 20, 2011, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A set of AFR 165's or TFS would both be nice choices if you have the cash. Just about anything aftermarket is better then some stock E7's, GT-40's/p heads.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
A set of AFR 165's or TFS would both be nice choices if you have the cash. Just about anything aftermarket is better then some stock E7's, GT-40's/p heads.

+100

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
hes2quick
¯
Member # 8916

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hes2quick  Ford pictures for hes2quick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats better the AFR'S or trick flow heads

--------------------
91 coupe with a 6 point cage,draglites, and some suspension work,3.73

Posts: 105 | From: Redwood City now Tempe, AZ | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I had to pick between both. I would pick AFR's.
But both would be a great choice.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please no gt40 irons... Don't let these fools here trick you into buying some than spend money on valve springs/porting..

I really like AFR and trickflow products

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Chp23109
¯
Member # 10540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chp23109  Ford pictures for Chp23109    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want spent basic heads then go for gt40x. i have a friend running gt40x heads shit running hella hard. or save for afr. good luck. [patriot]

--------------------
Banned for violating everything from the anti-ghetto sign and what's written below it. And we were doing so good lately with these types of people too.
^^^^^^^
you read the above and this is your reply to us-

"Why I got ban. He talked me crab word to me. Hmmm lmk thank"

Seriously? Does yous gots ta ax Y? Der be de stuff written unda der no ghetto sign G. Readz iT, itz beez 'bout it bout it youz.

We're not even going to get into getting banned for making fake accounts here http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00008902

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A 306 to a 302 is the same thing. You will see an entire 5 HP gain from the 306.

If you can get a fresh 302 for cheaper, do it. Or just get a 351 as long as your picking a block.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The main reason for the 306 and head change can be for a higher or lower compression ratio make sure those valve reliefs are huge on the pistons then get the 185 AFRs and a nice custom cam

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off Do NOT buy a used engine. I don't care if the owner tells you that it just came out of the machine shop and has enough reciepts to carpet your room. Secondly, what is the purpose of the engine? Is this a max effort or a GOOD STREET SETUP? I highlight this to make a point. Less is more when it comes to making a street setup live. My advice;

Go to a Machine shop and tell them what you want.
Have a pro build the bottom end and degree your cam (F,B1.7.. Whatever just make sure you have a good set of lifters and pushrods)
Either the TW or AFR heads... flip a coin. I like them both.
while this is going on pick up/do the following;
190 or 255 in tank pump and new fuel filter
Pro M meter and 30 lb injectors
have whatever intake you choose port matched.
Wash and clean out your car including the engine bay. Sound stupid? cleaning helps to find potential issues before the installation. be thorough and realistic. look at the torque boxes and reinforce them BEFORE the new engine is installed.
upon removing your stock mill, pray you dont damage any of the harnesses.
Install and run the shit out of it.
Save up for a transmission, you'll be buying one soon.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by copcar:
First off Do NOT buy a used engine. I don't care if the owner tells you that it just came out of the machine shop and has enough reciepts to carpet your room. Secondly, what is the purpose of the engine? Is this a max effort or a GOOD STREET SETUP? I highlight this to make a point. Less is more when it comes to making a street setup live. My advice;

Go to a Machine shop and tell them what you want.
Have a pro build the bottom end and degree your cam (F,B1.7.. Whatever just make sure you have a good set of lifters and pushrods)
Either the TW or AFR heads... flip a coin. I like them both.
while this is going on pick up/do the following;
190 or 255 in tank pump and new fuel filter
Pro M meter and 30 lb injectors
have whatever intake you choose port matched.
Wash and clean out your car including the engine bay. Sound stupid? cleaning helps to find potential issues before the installation. be thorough and realistic. look at the torque boxes and reinforce them BEFORE the new engine is installed.
upon removing your stock mill, pray you dont damage any of the harnesses.
Install and run the shit out of it.
Save up for a transmission, you'll be buying one soon.

listen to this guy..glad i did

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com