Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » porting and polishing tips/tricks

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: porting and polishing tips/tricks
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im going to port my gt40s but i have a set of e7s that im going to pratice on first..any tips/tricks?also what is a good p&p kit to get? thx in advance

[ June 16, 2011, 02:46 AM: Message edited by: coupe5oh ]

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just remove the casting flash(smooth out the inside of the runners).This is the safest way to get decent results if your a novice porter.
You should be able to find a kit with a mandrel shaft and sandpaper rolls at a machine shop or even an auto parts store.Theyre most commonly made by a company called Standard Abrasives.If want to get more agressive you can use stones first then smooth it out with sandpaper rolls after.

-

[ June 16, 2011, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i found this...worth it?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-90001/

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No stones in there but that'll do it.

--------------------

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:

cool...now for the tool...air powerd?battery?corded? brands?

--------------------
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to home depot, they sell the sets with rolls and with grinding stones. Then a normal dremel with high RPM will work, just buy from walmart it's like $70 then return it.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by coupe5oh:
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:

cool...now for the tool...air powerd?battery?corded? brands?
Ive actually used a regular old drill before,slow but it worked.Ruined my drill too,lol,but it'd be best to have a die grinder(air or elecric) and if you cant do that a Dremel.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
most of your hp gains will be in the short turn and blending in the bowl and guide areas. Good luck

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i couldn't even imagine the time it would take to use the tools u guys mentioned lol.but it will all work. air is cool if u dont mind stoppin all the time for the air compressor to work, electric is good, but not with a dremel but will take a long time, a drill is way to big and bulky and slow, real slow. but it will keep u ocupied for a good long while! i salute u guys all for tryin and makin it happen!
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure u have safety glasses on at ALL TIMES! dnt b like me n sydewayzlx50 n get metal shavings in ur eye!! i had a total of 8 pieces of metal removed from my eyes!! not fun! [Cool]

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The electric makita 1/4 grinder is a good unit. If you have a very healthy compressor plenty of cheap good air ones out there. Flexible shafts make them easier to maneuver
Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by clone nprogrss:
make sure u have safety glasses on at ALL TIMES! dnt b like me n sydewayzlx50 n get metal shavings in ur eye!! i had a total of 8 pieces of metal removed from my eyes!! not fun! [Cool]

SAFETY FIRST

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
BlownSnake95
¯
Member # 10578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownSnake95  Ford pictures for BlownSnake95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i suggest taking it to some one that knows what they are doing. to try this with no practice or knowledge is a good way to screw up your heads and lose a lot of power with out knowing it until its to late. but good luck
Posts: 54 | From: San Diego CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd use a corded drill and a sanding roll. That way with the low speed you can take your time and see your progress. Scribe your ports using your gaskets as a reference so you know where to stop and to keep the ports the correct shape. People get into trouble when they rush and then realize they took too much off or loose control of the tool and hit a valve seat. I'm no expert by any means but I've done two sets of heads just port matching and smooting/opening up the exhaust ports never messing with the fuel bowl or combustion chamber..When I did my 289 heads I picked up a tenth at the drag strip just doing the exhaust ports. Not too bad for a 30 year old drill and $5 in sanding rolls. Yea you could have a pro do it if your trying to squeeze every last horsepower but where is the fun in that? I say definitely do it yourself and be proud of YOUR accomplishments.
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by x42bnx:
just buy from walmart it's like $70 then return it.

Classy
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got the best trick and tip.. take the heads to a professional [Wink]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:

Bad advice, you can do this yourself. Do a little research it's not string theory. That's what being a car guy is about too many people take it to a "professional" who at one point was just a hobbyist like us.
Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best advice is to sell them and apply that $100 in supplies you were going to use towards porting, add another $100 or so and get some aluminum heads that will outflow and be lighter than your "Home ported" GT40 Irons"

No other way to put it bro, and this is coming from a super cheap guy [patriot]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gt40s FTW [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sinisterblk:
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:

Bad advice, you can do this yourself. Do a little research it's not string theory. That's what being a car guy is about too many people take it to a "professional" who at one point was just a hobbyist like us.
I know that.. I'm just givin him a hard time cuz I know him

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com