Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cobra Brakes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cobra Brakes
Mineralgt
¯
Member # 9909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mineralgt  Ford pictures for Mineralgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanted to get Cobra front brakes because i am getting a good deal on them. How hard is the conversion and what do i need? And also whats a good place to get 13' rotors that's cheap in price and has good quality lol. Also how much better are they then GT brakes?
Thanks

--------------------
02 GT Vert

Sonic96GT
¯
Member # 9594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonic96GT  Ford pictures for Sonic96GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I plan on upgrading to. I heard the difference is night and day. To convert front brakes, You'll need rotors, pads, calipers, SS lines will be a good addition as well. I'd go with drilled and slotted rotors. Check summit, they have rotors for cheap, just remember to get 13" rotors
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have the right parts, it's basically the same amount of work as just replacing the rotors and brake hoses and then bleeding the brakes, everything is just bolt on.

It makes a large difference. I got my front kit for both my cars from buyfordracing.com, I don't know what they go for now but I got the calipers, brackets, SS braided chicane DOT legal brake hoses, banjo bolts and caliper bracket bolts, ford OE pads, and ford OE rotors, for $350 shipped everything brand new.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the cobra brake set up on my fox... It looks better and I'm defiantly muse it will brake better. You just need the caliper with the mounting bracket and upgrade to Stainless steel brake lines witch are like 30$ on buyfordracingdirect.com

I bought all 4 cross drilled and slotted rotors off eBay for 129$ delivered to my house .

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Mineralgt
¯
Member # 9909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mineralgt  Ford pictures for Mineralgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So how good is drilled and slotted compared to just slotted? Because from what it looks like just slotted seems to be more expensive for some reason. Thanks for the input guys. Greatly Appreciated!

--------------------
02 GT Vert

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinking about the Cobra brake up grade then I found the 14 inch Roush Alcon 4 piston aluminum front and 13 inch rear set up with pads, and SS brake lines, and the brackets for 999.99. that included shipping. These are amazing brakes and I dont think I would ever run anything else. But I open track my car a lot and I need some big brakes.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86redGT  Ford pictures for 86redGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mineralgt:
So how good is drilled and slotted compared to just slotted? Because from what it looks like just slotted seems to be more expensive for some reason. Thanks for the input guys. Greatly Appreciated!

I ran drilled slotted brakes on my old 86 back when i first tracked it, supposedly they help with heat and are supposed to reduce break fade in prolonged braking situations.

I ended up overheating and warping both rotors on the second day. When i went to regular Rotors they only lasted me a day. So there is a noticeable difference. But for daily driving it doesnt matter beyond aesthetics

[ June 16, 2011, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: 86redGT ]

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

Mineralgt
¯
Member # 9909

Yeah idk if I want to spend 999 dollars and idk if I need that much stoppage lol its my daily driver.

But okay so for daily driving it makes no difference if I go drilled or not? I think ima do the slotted drilled. Thanks for the information guys!!

--------------------
02 GT Vert

95gtdroptop
¯
Member # 8330

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdroptop  Ford pictures for 95gtdroptop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might wanna try and find a cobra brake booster. its not necessary, but it gives you a not so hard pedal.

--------------------
95 gt drop top- sold
97 cobra coupe

Posts: 19 | From: sacramento(citrus heights) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com