Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 80 notch back 4 cyl. conversion questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 80 notch back 4 cyl. conversion questions
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
theres this clean 80 notch back 4 cyl. in my neihborhood for only $200.is this a good model to put a v-8 into? are there any issues involved with smog laws and what not.id only do it if it could be california legit.i have enough extra 5.0 parts to build the whole thing,just not sure if its a headache or not. any input would be cool.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its california and any state legit because that body model has the v-8 engine in it from the factory. All you have to do is tell the smog guy to smog it as a 5.0 but you do have to have all the proper smog lines vacumes ect hooked up...is it a head ache but when Im rolling in my 1988 4 cyl notch that I converted I forget how hard it was!

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribal3579warrior  Ford pictures for tribal3579warrior    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You would either have to have all the smog components of that same year or the smog and vacuum components of the year you are using parts from (has to be newer). Example, converting to efi (1986 model), all smog and vacuum lines need to be as 1986... follow the year of the ECU.

This is what I learned not too long ago from a BAR ref. And according to the ref, the only time I would need to see him is if I am using newer components for the conversion... Otherwise, go straight to smog shop if using the components as the same year as car...

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com