Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Another 4v Mach1 Powered GT Alive! Help with Knocking please~

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Another 4v Mach1 Powered GT Alive! Help with Knocking please~
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Flyer  Ford pictures for 99Flyer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The beast has just been released! A swap that I started in 2004 is now on the road. I have some issues to button up still but overall it sounds great! The only trouble codes that I am getting right now are related to the Auto tranny that used to be under the car.

The loud knocking is coming from the passenger side valve cover. I'm going to pull the cover tomorrow and hope and pray it wasn't a loose bouncing spark plug. anything else that could cause this sound?

--------------------
2021 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
1971 Camaro 350 SC
1977 GMC Kingsley Class A

Posts: 415 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Flyer  Ford pictures for 99Flyer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also the 2003 Mach1 motor has 13K miles but has been sitting for 7 years. I changed the oil before starting. The sound is DEFINITELY from the driver side Valve cover.

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol, first it's passenger, now it's definitely drivers side?

check the simple things first, COP's + spark plugs being tight, make sure they're all firing, unplug the COP one at a time to see if the sound goes away at idle, etc.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
lol, first it's passenger, now it's definitely drivers side?

check the simple things first, COP's + spark plugs being tight, make sure they're all firing, unplug the COP one at a time to see if the sound goes away at idle, etc.

Yeah Driver side lol... first post I was mixed up. I'll update after I check the COP's and spark plugs. Wish me luck and no damage!

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

LSFairmont
¯
Member # 6001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSFairmont  Ford pictures for LSFairmont    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PICS
Posts: 3652 | From: the land of the lost | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4V's are notorious for eating up passenger side cylinder heads,they can waste the guides or seats or even warp cam journals on the rear cylinders.Its a cooling issue,they make a mod to fix the problem.I know you said drivers side but sometimes valvetrain noise is hard to pinpoint.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Yes, my roommate now knows the valve cover is not plastic, but focus on the knocking sound definitely coming from the driver side head.

Video of knocking in head

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
doesn't sound like a blown spark plug to me at all, if it's in the front it might be the timing chain?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rocker? valve adjustment?

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Any tips on manuvering a 4v valve cover off without lifting engine? Looks like it's almost there but won't clear.

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99FLYER:
Any tips on manuvering a 4v valve cover off without lifting engine? Looks like it's almost there but won't clear.

you have to remove the hydroboost...3 bolts and a cotter pin inside behind the petal and one on the firewall...13mm i believe! no way around it...TRUST ME lol

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

yeah without removing the hydroboost there's no way, unless you unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor up as high as the trans tunnel will let you.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

99Flyer
¯
Member # 1528

Thanks guys! Tomorrows project (Today was Mom's birthday)

--------------------
1971 Camaro 350 SC

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going to be doing this next week on a customer car! If you decided its to much work..bring it down to my shop!

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com